Grado SR125 and Sennheiser HD600 - best value?
Feb 16, 2002 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hinors14

New Head-Fier
I live in Denmark and here the prices for headphones are:

Grado SR60...............$120
Grado SR125.............$265
Grado SR225.............$325
Sennheiser HD600....$228

I own a pair of Grado SR60 and I'm looking for a new pair. The guy at the HIFI store says "Why don't you just get a bigger pair of Grados?" With the prices listed above and the amazing sound of the HD600 it's a no-brainer: I'm going for the Senns! Why would he recommend the Grados? He's probably making more money on selling Grados...

Feb 16, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Is that converted to US money? My goodness, he must be getting rich on the Grados.

The HD600s are a much better value, but there will still be people that like the Grado sound more.

Feb 16, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 10
If you have a dealer with both cans, you should compare them side-by-side. The Senn sound is different from the Grado sound, and you may like it more, or you may like it less. If the sales guy knows you like your current Grados, it makes sense for him to recommend something else with a similar sound.

Feb 16, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 10
Your post is an outstanding example of relative valuations across the world. Here in the US, Grado 60=$65, Grado 125= $150 and Senn HD600 = $300 (prices are approximate). Perhaps your dealer just loves the Grado sound, or perhaps it's the "harder-to-get-so-it-must-be-better" syndrome. Or perhaps he does have a much larger profit margin on Grado's.
Just don't forget to figure that you need a good amp for those HD600's.
I'm a dedicated Grado fan, so I'm sorry to see Grado prices so high for our EU brothers and sisters.

Jon

Feb 16, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 10
I knew Grado was expensive in Europ, but THAT expensive, whoa..

anyway, the choice is a bit more complex than HD600 is better than SR125. the HD600 is really going to need an amp, the SR125 will be fine without. save some cash on the cans and get the HD580 (just about equal, but not as classy), throw in a few more bucks and get yourself and amp too.

Feb 17, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 10
I don't think he's making more money when selling Grados, they're more expensive because of shipping and tax (mostly tax!). I own a Creek OBH-11SE headphone amp (I did only pay $192 for a brand new one!) so I think I've got a decent amp. I notice at the HIFI shop that the regular OBH-11 had a harder time driving the Grados! After having listened to the SR125 and the SR225 I plugged in the HD600 and noticed a slight increase in volume, actually I did only have to turn the knob 1/4 up with the HD600. At home I need to turn my OBH-11SE 1/2 up for the same volume with the SR60. Strange... but I don't care it drives them all a very loud volumes, so I'm quite pleased
biggrin.gif
You can check out TapeConnection's (the name of the store) prices out here:

http://www.tapeconnection.dk/Prislist/040.htm

They're the cheapest prices in Denmark. Just divide the blue/green price with 8.3 and you have it in US dollars.

hinors14

Feb 17, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't think it should matter what is overpriced, who is making bigger margins on what, what is a rip off, what isn't. It only counts what you like. So if you like the Grado sound, why not go for it. If you listen to the Senns and like them better, the decision is even easier. Listen to your ear,
Legoman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back