Grado SR series and Mogami Mini Quad.
Nov 1, 2007 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

3x331m

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking of upgrading the cable of my Grado SR series cans with Mogami Mini Quad, those used for microphones.

Is Mogami Mini Quad an upgrade to Grado stock cable ?

If the MMQ is not better than Grado stock, but change the sound signature, please share your impressions.

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 7
Have you ever tried the Mogami Mini Quad on your Grado?

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey Now,

I got my SR60 re-cabled with Mogami Mini-quad_W2893. It sounds better but it is because I did all the SR60 mods from Bilavideo's recommended mods (linky) and a re-cable, it certainly looks better 8^). Here is a photo >>

I do not recall the sound of the stock oem cable as compared to the Mogami re-cable. Sorry not much help there, but all the mods put together, the SR60s sound way beyond their price point now.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 7
I restored a broken pair of SR125s by replacing the old cable with Mogami 2893 Mini Quad. They sound great now. But I also cannot offer any comparisons since I never heard them properly before the recable. Sorry.

However, I can say that the Mogami cable has a definite an advantage in that it is shielded very well. And the wires are twisted together for additional noise rejection. All four wires are coloured differently so that simplifies the recabling job.

@ccklone: That's a very nice pair of Grados!

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 7
 Thanks guys for the tumb up. I really like the way those modded Grado SR60 look. I won't be able to go that far but I am planning to remove the stock grill and replace it with a metal mash grill that was just posted here in the trade column. Than I will use some Dynamat and place it on the back of the driver housing. Not sure if I should put some dynamat material on the plasic enclosure or some felt strips, as some have done.

Any idea, comments?

Also any suggetions for some 'easy' additional mods like removing the silk screen in fron of the driver???

Of course I will re-cable the SR60 with the Mogami

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 7
I placed an order last night for some Mogami, so I will be able to report back, but not for a couple of weeks.

I have a set of sr60i's, with many of the Bilavideo mods.

Mostly, I am changing the stock cable to shorten it a bit, and get a 1/4 plug on there.

It will be done live at a Head Fi gathering in Toronto, in early March.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Just a follow on here - I now have the Mogami and the Vampire combo on my SR60i's, in addition to various other mods.

It sounds good - I was mostly after the 1/4 plug, and a slightly shorter cable, but I am very happy with how it sounds.

Affordable and worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back