Grado SR-80 vs. Sennheiser 280Pro for portable?
Apr 25, 2002 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

twitch

New Head-Fier
Recent destruction of my MDR-V600's by a stray foot (they were laying on the floor) has prompted me to look for some new cans for mostly portable listening. I'm debating between the SR-80's and HD-280 Pro's. I'd like the bright sound of the Grado's, but because they're open-air I'm afraid of noise pollution from the outside (I don't care if other people can hear me, I just don't want to hear them). Thus, I'm looking at the 280's, but I'm wonder if their sound might be a bit to thin for me. Any suggestions?

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 11
Thin? I've had to check if my subwoofer was on with my 280s (it wasn't). Anyone who has described them as weak on bass didn't give them enough burn in time. Most of those types of comments were at 20 hours or less, that's just getting started. 40 hours sounds good but you need 80-100 to get them at their best.

The 280s are the best closed phone under $100. Maybe higher, I don't think there's a better closed phone until you get to the Beyer 250-80s at $169. Even that's questionable, some have said they like the Senns better than the Beyers.

Ok enough about the 280. Versus the Sr80 that may be a tough comparison, closed vs open is always tricky. The 280 has a neutral tone, analytical yet still musical. The Sr80 is said to have an exaggerated bass but I bet the 280 is still stronger and deeper. The 280 has 32dB isolation, they'd have to be pretty loud for someone to hear them and you're not going to hear much but your music. Since the Sr80 is open they're going to have an advantage on soundstage but they're also supposed to be pretty leaky. Arguably, the 280 might have a comfort advantage, Grados are always getting knocked on comfort. Um, I think that covers the main points. I'm sure others will fill in stuff I missed.

(HBZ)

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 11
The 280 seems like an obvious choice over the grado if you value noise isolation. I cannot comment on sound quality.

I can only add that I tried the fit of the 280 (they were available for test on a headphone stand, except that no music was playing from the source!). I really did not like it! The headband was pressing way too much on the top of my head. I could not imagine wearing them for any longer than a few minutes. Maybe one can get used to it? Maybe my head is oddly shaped? Who knows?

And they are quite bulky as well.

P.

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 11
HD 280 is worth for the excellent sound isolation.
I used to use SR 60 for portable but the lack of any sound isolation and severe leak of sound are no good.

Apr 25, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 11
The HD280 insolate really well. I was listening to music with them today at moderate volume and didn't hear the fire alarm go off in the dorm building right next to my building.

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 11
The 280's have a thick coiled cord, and the Grados have a thick straight cord. I think you will find both of these are too long for use with a portable. The 280's are very big as well - you might look a bit strange walking down the Street in them! The Grados (being open) let in too much outside noise for me.

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD25? These are smaller, lighter, closed, have a short thin lead, and were made for DJ's. I use them with my iPod and they are fabulous! I've not heard them mentioned on this site before so perhaps they are a European thing, but try and audition a pair somewhere.

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 11
I use the Grado 80's with a walkman and no amp is needed but they are not isolated as the HD280's. Both have a rather long cord for a portable, be careful when walking! I decided on the Grado's because IMO they sound good with all types of music; good luck and happy listening!

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Pierre Lambion
I can only add that I tried the fit of the 280 .... I really did not like it! The headband was pressing way too much on the top of my head. I could not imagine wearing them for any longer than a few minutes. Maybe one can get used to it? Maybe my head is oddly shaped? Who knows?

I know! I know! It IS your head!
tongue.gif
No, actually they do have a strange setup for sizing, strange to me anyway. The band expands outward (width) more than it does up-and-down like most headphones I'm familiar with. I find the fit a bit looser than I would have expected from the comments of others. I can size it small enough to fit my three year old daughter's head though so they do have a good range of adjustment.

Those commenting on their large size do have a point but the Grados aren't really much smaller. It's a personal preference thing, I do see people wearing large phones on the train but not often. Maybe you should also consider something like the Senn 212. It's a bit smaller and its a closed design so there is some isolation. The build quality is a bit lacking, it feels like a regular portable type phone but with circumaural cups. It's a relative unknown though, the people that have them like them but didn't have other phones to compare against. I would think it would be a fairly good match against the Sr80. Price is about $40 at Buy.com

(HBZ)

Apr 25, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi Twitch---

basically what Hamsterball said. The 280s have excellent deep controlled bass while the 80s are a bit too loose to my ears. The Grados are THE noisiest headphones imaginable and also let a lot of external noise in; I've tried my 60s on the subway and they don't work out at all. Also that damned annoying stethoscope cable is too thick and inflexible, and the driver mounts spin like pinwheels, making tangles a frequent hinderance. Finally, the Grados are bulky, don't fold, and are even sorta fragile. You couldn't really wear em round your neck when not listening, and if you put them in a backpack, well, it wouldn't be pretty if something heavy shifted inside and landed on them... Conclusion: Grados (60s, 125s, 325s) are fine at home, but travel badly.

The 280s are big, but fold up as well as lay flat. As Commander said they are bulky and you will look like an air traffic controller with em on, but this is really the same with any mid size set of phones. Also, the 280 is super tough and durable, even making the Sony V6 seem loose and rattly in comparison.

The HD25 is NOT a good substitute in my opinion: it has a wafer thin sound stage, is not really comfy with treble, and is generally overly dry and analytical (even moreso than the V6 I thought...). The 25 is one of Senns older designs that I think is showing it's age. I think the 280 sounds much better. The 25 is small, but there are too many other compromises in exchange for portability/subtlety.

The Senn 212: would someone who owns these damned things PLEASE WRITE A REVIEW?!? Thanks. The 212s are the Loch Ness Monster of headphones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope these thought help! By the way, did you do something nice for the person who stepped on those dreadful HD600s? Helping you get infinitely better sounding phones has to be worth at least a beer or two...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back