Grado SR-80 Tape mod questions
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bradrj1029

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if it is safe to put Electrical tape around the bowl pads of my SR80s? Would it leave residue on the pads after awhile of use or..? Thanks
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

May I ask why?

The tape mod is FWIR a bass mod. gives more bass.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Depends on the tape. If if does leave residue, you can just get a new set of pads. They are meant to be replaced, after all. I've tried it on my SR80s and kept the tape on for months - no residue when I took it off, but it may have been the brand of tape I used (3M electrical tape).

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Some clear packing tape like 3M will leave a residue, but some of the other brands won't unless it's heated up in the sun. Electrical tape doesn't seem to leave much of a residue either, might depend on heat and how long you leave it on.

Here's what you can do first to see if you even want to wrap your pads at all. Wrap your pads with some removable tape first like scotch tape, and then wrap that tape with the electrical tape. Test to see if you like the sound, and if so, remove and wrap with just the electrical tape.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 9
If you want more bass, go for it! You just might have a harder time selling your 80's with taped pads, though.

Oh, and wallet-permitting (and if you continue to read on head-fi) you'll be ready to upgrade soon. When you decide to go for the 225's, check out the comparison in my sig.

Mark

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 9
it is expensive ($17 a roll) bat Gaffers tape is an audio hobbyists best friend. It is designed for 0 residue no matter how long it is left on or what temperature it gets to so miles ahead of any electrical tape or packing tape. The trick to it is that the adhesive is silicone based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back