Grado SR-80 questions
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I just bought a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones and I got them about two days ago. I have a few questions about their reliability/durability.

The Y connector on these headphones doesn't look very strong. Are they known to break? Just to be safe I'm being careful by not putting any extra weight on the cables.

Also, the metal rods that adjust the cups seem to be just stuck in plastic. Will these get loose over time, causing the cups to just move up and down freely? I've heard that Grado Labs doesn't have the best customer support and I'm just a poor college student, so I'd like these to last me as long as they can without repairs.

Otherwise, I think these headphones are excellent. One last, unrelated question: Why does everyone complain about the comfort of these headphones? They are very comfortable and I can wear them for hours at a time. Maybe it's because I was using a pair of $20 Sony over ear headphones. My standards must be low...

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguvian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I just bought a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones and I got them about two days ago. I have a few questions about their reliability/durability.

The Y connector on these headphones doesn't look very strong. Are they known to break? Just to be safe I'm being careful by not putting any extra weight on the cables.

Also, the metal rods that adjust the cups seem to be just stuck in plastic. Will these get loose over time, causing the cups to just move up and down freely? I've heard that Grado Labs doesn't have the best customer support and I'm just a poor college student, so I'd like these to last me as long as they can without repairs.

Otherwise, I think these headphones are excellent. One last, unrelated question: Why does everyone complain about the comfort of these headphones? They are very comfortable and I can wear them for hours at a time. Maybe it's because I was using a pair of $20 Sony over ear headphones. My standards must be low...

I can not answer to your first questions, as I have my sr225s for a month now, however I can answer to your last question.

They complain because NEW grados take some time to get used to. They are not "plug and play" as to say. The bowls have to change to fit your ears (by wearing them). Then you have to find a good distance for the strap to be in good use. After this month of daily use I have come through some comfort issues (because i didn't put them on correctly). However now that I have found the perfect fit, and the bowls have changed to my ear shapes (you can see that in the part next to the driver), I can wear them for hours (3-4hours) Have not stayed with them for more as I have had things to do, but being 4 hours straight my max time I could feel no annoyance.

Hope you enjoy your grados!

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 11
The Y connector does look a little sketchy visually but it seems to be molded/melted together so I don't worry about it breaking. Of course being careful with the connection is always the best thing
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't ever heard of anyone saying the metal rods get loose over time.

Comfort is personal, that's why people complain about it. I have rather small ears that fit nearly within the 'bowl' entirely. At first having them press right against my ears was slightly uncomfortable but I got use to it. I suspect people aren't used to having a phone press against their ear and just expect the pads to touch. Or if one has large ears the bowl might press against the top and bottom of the ear. I've also tried the SR60 non-bowl pads and aside from changing the immediacy of the sound they distribute the pressure more.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Y connector does look a little sketchy visually but it seems to be molded/melted together so I don't worry about it breaking. Of course being careful with the connection is always the best thing
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't ever heard of anyone saying the metal rods get loose over time.

Comfort is personal, that's why people complain about it. I have rather small ears that fit nearly within the 'bowl' entirely. At first having them press right against my ears was slightly uncomfortable but I got use to it. I suspect people aren't used to having a phone press against their ear and just expect the pads to touch. Or if one has large ears the bowl might press against the top and bottom of the ear. I've also tried the SR60 non-bowl pads and aside from changing the immediacy of the sound they distribute the pressure more.

Thanks, good to know about the connector and rods.

I did have a little bit of discomfort when I first put on my headphones but after fiddling with the rods and and adjusting the headphones correctly on my head, all the discomfort vanished.

I also saw the SR60 non-bowl flat pads. They don't look nearly as comfortable as the bowl pads of the SR80.

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not answer to your first questions, as I have my sr225s for a month now, however I can answer to your last question.

They complain because NEW grados take some time to get used to. They are not "plug and play" as to say. The bowls have to change to fit your ears (by wearing them). Then you have to find a good distance for the strap to be in good use. After this month of daily use I have come through some comfort issues (because i didn't put them on correctly). However now that I have found the perfect fit, and the bowls have changed to my ear shapes (you can see that in the part next to the driver), I can wear them for hours (3-4hours) Have not stayed with them for more as I have had things to do, but being 4 hours straight my max time I could feel no annoyance.

Hope you enjoy your grados!

Yeah, I found that taking a few minutes to adjust everything and set it on your head properly can make a huge difference, instead of trying them on once and then complaining about comfort.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 11
The metal rods where they meet the plastic pieces should be fine. The part where the plastic pieces connect to headband is a whole other story. In some cases, those tend to become separated. Mine fell off on my SR80's before, but I just reconnected them with some glue and they've been fine for over a year now.

Also, you may want to be careful with the rotation of your cups. Try not to twist them too many times because the cables start to become all warped, making them difficult to straighten out. In some cases with enough twisting, the cables could become damaged over time.

Other than those things, enjoy!

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The metal rods where they meet the plastic pieces should be fine. The part where the plastic pieces connect to headband is a whole other story. In some cases, those tend to become separated. Mine fell off on my SR80's before, but I just reconnected them with some glue and they've been fine for over a year now.

Also, you may want to be careful with the rotation of your cups. Try not to twist them too many times because the cables start to become all warped, making them difficult to straighten out. In some cases with enough twisting, the cables could become damaged over time.

Other than those things, enjoy!

Good excuse for a recable!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 11
^Actually if you were to recable you should just buy a new pair. It would cost equal or x2 times the price of the headphones themselves.

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 11
I agree 100% that the supposed comfort "issue" is completely overstated.
With only a few seconds of shaping the band, my SR60's felt like they were custom made for me.

On the subject of comfort, my AKG K701's almost went back into the box and back to the retailer the day they arrived at my house. I decided to work with them and I've been able to get them to a very wearable state.

I read a few "professional" reviews and at least one of the reviewers was just gushing about their comfort. Maybe he'd gotten used to his 2 pound Koss fons from 1976
darthsmile.gif

On cables: I agree that the Y splitter does not inspire a lot of confidence with regard to long term durability. I've got a rough outline of a plan to replace it with a minimum of cost. Sort of..

My next phone purchase is most likely going to be a Denon AH-D5000, which will promptly get a Jena Labs cable and the full-blown Markl mod
very_evil_smiley.gif

The Denon cable will be transplanted to the SR60's provided that they aren't replaced with a set of SR225's if I happen to come across a pair on the cheap.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 11
I never really had any qualms with the y-connector. Seems sturdy to me.

We only hear the bad from the people who complain about the comfort. I am sure that there are an equal amount who find them comfortable (me for 1).

As for reliability and durability, I can't give a definitive answer since I've have only had my Sr-60s for half a year. Only thing different so far is hair and crud in the foam pads and slightly faded lettering on the ear cups. I've rolled over the cable several times with my chair to no obvious effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back