Grado SR-80 Plug Problem
Aug 13, 2008 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bryguy27007

100+ Head-Fier
It seems that the mini plug on my SR-80s is slightly bent.
Because of this, it seems that it is able to slip out of a headphone jack very easily. For example, I will plug my headphones into my iPod and if I pick up the iPod or move it, one side might cut out or both will for just a second. Also, when I am putting my iPod in my pocket the plug usually comes out and my iPod will end up in my pocket with nothing plugged into it.

I should be receiving an amp fairly soon, so I can test if it is the iPod or the headphone (I am almost positive it is the headphone, because I can see that it is slightly bent). Do I have to get my Grados recabled if I want this problem to go away? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could just have the plug replaced, if you want to save money.

I read through a few other threads and if I diagnosed it right, it seems that is the best option. I can't stand the thought of shipping my headphones out for over a week though, I have had these on my head since I got them (basically for 2 weeks straight). I might be able to do it myself, but I am not sure if I trust myself for that. Maybe if somebody walked me through it I would be able to do it. I have soldered on a plug onto headphones before, but I had another person helping me and it was with a pair that I really didn't care for that much.

I am not sure if I want to do it myself yet or just send them out.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 13
There are a few walkthroughs on here already, check them out. If you know which end of the soldering iron to hold, you can do this
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Yeah. It's a matter of five minutes' work once you get over the "omg what if I make it explode" nervousness from not having done it much before.

Just be careful you keep the contacts straight. Also it's funny when you forget to put the pieces on in the right order and end up having to cut the plug off and start over...
eek.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a few walkthroughs on here already, check them out. If you know which end of the soldering iron to hold, you can do this
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. It's a matter of five minutes' work once you get over the "omg what if I make it explode" nervousness from not having done it much before.

Just be careful you keep the contacts straight. Also it's funny when you forget to put the pieces on in the right order and end up having to cut the plug off and start over...
eek.gif

Thanks for the positive support.
Looks like I just need to read a few of the guides, select a plug and do it.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 13
There's really no way better to learn soldering than to practice. But given the risk of giving yourself interesting burns and/or destroying parts, it's good to do a bit of reading first on safety and a bit of practicing on less valuable bits of kit.

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 13
I build audio cables for a couple audio cable companies (I don’t think that we’ve build any headphone extensions cables), once you’ve obtained your replacement connector you can cut off the bad plug off, cut it open and see which wire they use to which contact. I usually use silver Wonder Solder but you can get great results using silver-bearing solder from Radio Shack. You’ll want to strip back the dielectric on each wire and then tin the wire before soldering it to the plugs contact point. You’ll probably find that the dielectric will shrink back if you do not get in and out rather quickly when tinning the wires (you can always just snip a bit more of the tinned wire back a bit if need be). Solder the wires to your new stereo plug in the same color coded way as the original and you should be just fine. Once you’re done with soldering the plug you may want use a short run (maybe an 1.5 -2.0”) of black heat shrink over the back of the connector and on to the headphone cable to give it a finished look and add some stress relief.

You can find replacement male headphone plugs at a lot of places but I’ve heard very good things about Switchcraft (Kimber Kable uses them along with many other high-end cable companies) and you can buy them and get free shipping and no tax at: Welcome to Sweetwater.com | Call Us @ 800 222 4700.
I bought a couple parts from them myself last week and was surprised how quickly I received my order and that shipping was totally free.

I hope this helps, you've said that you have soldered on a headphone plug before so I'm sure that you'll be just fine. If the worse was to happen and you did mess up you could cut that connector off right behind the plug and start over again.....no big deal.

Good luck!
Kevin

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

There's really no way better to learn soldering than to practice. But given the risk of giving yourself interesting burns and/or destroying parts, it's good to do a bit of reading first on safety and a bit of practicing on less valuable bits of kit.

I will do some reading before hand, that's for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLJTech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I build audio cables for a couple audio cable companies (I don’t think that we’ve build any headphone extensions cables), once you’ve obtained your replacement connector you can cut off the bad plug off, cut it open and see which wire they use to which contact. I usually use silver Wonder Solder but you can get great results using silver-bearing solder from Radio Shack. You’ll want to strip back the dielectric on each wire and then tin the wire before soldering it to the plugs contact point. You’ll probably find that the dielectric will shrink back if you do not get in and out rather quickly when tinning the wires (you can always just snip a bit more of the tinned wire back a bit if need be). Solder the wires to your new stereo plug in the same color coded way as the original and you should be just fine. Once you’re done with soldering the plug you may want use a short run (maybe an 1.5 -2.0”) of black heat shrink over the back of the connector and on to the headphone cable to give it a finished look and add some stress relief.

You can find replacement male headphone plugs at a lot of places but I’ve heard very good things about Switchcraft (Kimber Kable uses them along with many other high-end cable companies) and you can buy them and get free shipping and no tax at: Welcome to Sweetwater.com | Call Us @ 800 222 4700.
I bought a couple parts from them myself last week and was surprised how quickly I received my order and that shipping was totally free.

I hope this helps, you've said that you have soldered on a headphone plug before so I'm sure that you'll be just fine. If the worse was to happen and you did mess up you could cut that connector off right behind the plug and start over again.....no big deal.

Good luck!
Kevin

Thank you very much for the information and the link.
Is heat shrink wrap available at say a hardware or electronic store?
I can't find any individual plugs on the site, only a 1/8th to 1/8th cable.
Does the quality of the plug matter that much? If there is one that would give me better SQ/not degrade my SQ, I would much rather get that one. Would Radioshack carry a suitable plug?

Quote:

FYI, dielectric == insulator.

Thank you, I kind of figured, but wasn't quite sure.

Aug 14, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

eek.gif

Actually, if you get them wrong, you can just switch the earpieces to the opposite place on the headband.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Here is a TRS (the name they go by) ¼” male plug: Switchcraft 297 TRS Connector | Sweetwater.com

I haven’t tried to find any 1/8” plugs but you could use the full-sized plug and then an adapter if needed. If you prefer you may well be able to find an 1/8” plug at Radio Shack and they would have a bag of heat shrink as well. Make sure whatever you do buy has two rings on the plug as it is easy to grab a mono (single ring) by mistake. You don’t have to use heat shrink but not only does it give it a finished look but also gives it a bit more strain relief. You can use a blow-dryer to heat the shrink.

Good luck.
Kevin

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back