Grado SR-60s
Nov 11, 2001 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Advance Dog

New Head-Fier
I just got my Grado SR-60s. And they are very good- far better standard head music phones.

But the fine detail and excellent sound described in Headroom.com product overview isn't quite there; and I know there is a little doctoring I can do to them, but what is it? I want to be careful w/ my inexperienced scalpel !

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 16
Give them a few days running music through them. Whether they burn in or your ears get used to them is a huge debate here, but having owned various Grado models, they do sound better after a few days. If you're using the "comfy" pads, i.e. the ones that cover the whole surface, you are getting a bit of muffling. I use the new bowl pads that come with SR-80 and above, which sacrifice a little comfort for detail. Scalpel is a bad idea.

Nov 11, 2001 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 16
My SR-80s sound better than they did a year ago when I bought them, or even 8 months ago after a few months of "burn-in time". Don't try to blast them during the burn-in period, just listen to them as you normally would -- and if they're anything like my 80's, you'll be posting a different tune.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 16
I hope you have lots of pain-killers for those poor Grados...
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 16
i knew i came to the right forum...

Raymondlin: WHAT happened w/ the butter knife and Neruda?

Jude: i drive the SR-60s using CDs and no amping apart from my CD drive and my jambox at work right now; that's all i plan on doing for the time being

Neil and Huy: i haven't let them burn in long at all- maybe 2 weeks...i didn't know about the new bowl pads; didn't see them when i was searching things on Headroom.com...i shall be patient, yea, verrrily

Nov 13, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 16
I think chych was the one who decided to try the unholy mating of his grados with a butter knife.

Anyway, AD: if you have the pads on there that cover the whole driver (which you most likely do if you just bought them new), try taking an x-acto knife and cutting a quarter or slightly larger sized hole in the center of the pads (with the pads off of the headphones, please). That will improve the sound dramatically.

Nov 13, 2001 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 16
...or you can always plug the cans in via your soundcard? Wouldn't it sound much better that way?

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 16
yea anything from the stock cd-rom will sound like junk
if you can use the sound card if the company has one
use it

but otherwise... bring a minidisc unit or cd player
the sr-60 will sound good off most anything that has at least a decent power source, (i know pcdps are not considered decent power sources)
hehe

but yea with a burn in the sr-60's should be great
I suggest doing the revers pad mod on the sr-60

cut a hole on the side of the pad on the ear
then just turn the around, and wrap them over the tranciever/driver
thingy
and let the origional manufactor hole be open towards your ear

Nov 13, 2001 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 16
No, chych killed his Beyer 831s.

Neruda killed - then resurrected (sp?!) - his Grado SR-80s.

And I used a soldering iron and a pair o' tweezers to kill my 888s......

Nov 13, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 16
I cut a nickel-sized whole in the ear-pads of my SR-60s with an exacto knife. That improved the sound greatly. Note: press down on the nickel or quarter as hard as you can to adequately pin the foam down under it or you will move the foam around while you cut and you'll have a jagged hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back