Grado SR-60 = Yes
Jul 7, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 30
Xander
HI: Congrats on the grado 60s. If you are using the bowl pads think about the senn. pads. If the RS-1 look good to you but are out of your reach try the 225 if you would like to upgrade. I fine the grado line great small and comfortable headphones with great upfront and clear sound and dynamic to boot.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #17 of 30
I have a pair of grado sr 60s I bought new when they first came out and still have them. Paid 59.00 at a stereo show and they origionally came with flat pads, which are a little smaller then the Hp1 flatpads.
I still have the Flatpads but switched to senn pads years back because they where more comfortable,
I still enjoy listening to the sr60s,
great with the portable stuff.

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #18 of 30
what cable did you fitted them with???

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
Oh, and did I mention the cord was single ended? With full earcup movement, too. Maybe I should post more information on that modification later, unless someone has already done it.

Please post some details.
(hopefully some pics too)

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #20 of 30
I'll definitely post some pics and info as soon as it's completely finished. It's kindof rough right now (I flipped one of the caps upside down, just to avoid drilling a hole. :)

As far as the cable that I'm using, I re-used the stock cable. I cut the 1-8" connector off, since it was shot, and put a radioshack gold plated over-priced but wanted it now 1-8" jack on there. I cut the Y off, and used the higher guage, four strand cable that runs from it, to go into the left earcup. I had to rotate the driver enclosure, since I noticed one of the holes was conveniently larger than the other two, allowing the enclosure to fully close with the larger cable. I then ran some low guage wire that I stole from an old AC adapter, and fed it through the plastic headband, through the otherside, then entered it through the top of the right driver. Inside the left driver, I connected the main cable to both drivers. The leads coming from the earcups from the headband also limit the cup rotation, which is kindof handy, since I could find no way to install some sortof apparatus to keep them from spinning.

Jul 8, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 30
Sorry about the poor quality of this picture, but my cameras battery was dying and I had no time to focus or set the shot up.

sr_60_mod.jpg

Thanks to my friend FoxZero, for hosting this lovely image for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
If you can find any advantages in the SR60 that you can't find in the HD600, then your HD600 rig clearly has problems

Wrong.

Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
One thing is for sure though. They do not approach the 600's unless you are not using an appropriate amplifier.

So if you are not using an appropriate amplifier with the SR60, they approach the HD600? Hehe. Certainly it is not the other way around, since an HD600 through bad amplification can in no way touch a Grado SR60 coming out of a portable CD player. This is what they were designed for.

The SR60 is livlier, more fun and more musical than the HD600. But the HD600 does things that the SR60 certainly cannot do. This is the problem with headphones, and the reason many of us own multiple pairs.
plainface.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #23 of 30
I just find it annoying that I can hear ambient detail in the treble and upper midrange frequencies, as well as reverberations, and etc. Cymbal taps, upper frequency instruments such as high hats, cow bells, triangles, sound more natural. There is also more definition in the midbass frequencies, in comparison, the HD600 sounds like it's losing a lot of the detail, with a much slower sound.

I don't really prefer either over the other I guess. I think the HD600 with good amplification sounds better overall, but there are definitely some things that are lacking.

For the record, I have driven the HD600s with just about everything. There are big improvements down the line, but nothing erases the obvious that is noticable through all sources.

Jul 8, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #24 of 30
Personally, I'm starting to think this hobby is bunk. After a certain point, I'm not finding anything noticably better, just different. I'm not willing to spend 500 dollars on preference, or to obtain that last bit of detail. $100 for interconnects to change the sound a hint, to me, is nuts. I still can't understand why people buy big fancy IEC power connectors and high grade AC outlets. If only they knew how atrocious the wiring in their house was. It'll be a long time before we approach a level of fidelity that even remotely approaches realism. If you disagree, then you do not listen to live music in any form.

I thought i could get close. How wrong I was. It's a lost cause for now, so i'm better off spending funds elsewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Personally, I'm starting to think this hobby is bunk. After a certain point, I'm not finding anything noticably better, just different

You've just nailed it.

Sep 21, 2003 at 8:40 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Personally, I'm starting to think this hobby is bunk. After a certain point, I'm not finding anything noticably better, just different. I'm not willing to spend 500 dollars on preference, or to obtain that last bit of detail. $100 for interconnects to change the sound a hint, to me, is nuts. I still can't understand why people buy big fancy IEC power connectors and high grade AC outlets. If only they knew how atrocious the wiring in their house was. It'll be a long time before we approach a level of fidelity that even remotely approaches realism. If you disagree, then you do not listen to live music in any form.

I thought i could get close. How wrong I was. It's a lost cause for now, so i'm better off spending funds elsewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

so true. it really depends on the first quality headphones that you listen too. you'll fall in love with them then, everything just sounds different, not necessarily better, but different. I bought the SR-60s then the KSC-35, and i noticed i difference, but the main difference was the comfort/fit.

Sep 21, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #30 of 30
Re: SR60... I sold mine off (newer model, 2001-ish?), after hearing what I perceived as a lot of ugliness in upper midrange/lower treble. To put it somewhat differently -- those things *screeched* with certain music, particularly at higher volumes... as if the drivers couldn't handle things and totally lost coherence. I've never heard that kind of thing in any other headphones I've listened to before, even $20 Koss KTX-Pro -- just too nasty for words. Since the deal with the SR225 fell through, I've left Team Grado for the forseeable future (shrug)...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the SR60, but I find the comparison to HD-600 rather difficult to believe. The SR-60 sounded about as good as my Denon AH-D550 closed cans, in my opinion... warm, mushy and wonderful at hiding flaws in recordings and sources. I thought the soundstage was weird, too... almost like pinpoints of sound surrounded by air, if that makes any sense. Just my opinion, whatever it's worth (nothing in particular).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back