grado sr-60 vs. sony v6?
Feb 7, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by refault
alright i guess i'll pick up the SR-60's. if anything i can always give it to my friend for her birthday present and buy myself a pair of HD497's (for testing purposes) or maybe the HD202 Pro's. (since the V6's aren't that great.)

By all reports the HD202 pro's are horrible. You'd be much better off getting V6's than those.

blessingx's review of the HD202's

Feb 8, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #17 of 18
Hi refault,
I'll try to lend some of my personal experience since I own both cans and have used both extensively in portable situations (ie. walking around city with busy streets, trains, buses.. as well as in uni classes, libraries). I'll list them in basic catergories that I consider important for portable usage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Isolation:
The SR60's really do have a serious problem with sound leakage as others here have said. It's as much of a problem with you hearing outside noises as people around you (especially trains) having to hear what you are listening to.
If you want isolation, the V6's are the way to go, being both closed and circum-aural, the exact opposite of the SR60's (open and sitting 'on top' of your ear). Sound is blocked very well from outside noises, and there is hardly any chance for even the person sitting next to you to hear anything from your phones (unless the volume were to be ear-spittingly loud
wink.gif
)

Comfort:
IMO, the comfort of the V6's wins hands down over the SR60's. Because the Grados rest directly on your ears the friction and pressure can lead to annoying aches after anything more than 1.5 hours use.
The V6's nicely padded, even the headband, and for me I can wear these without physical fatigue for many many hours. However, since they encompass the whole ear, the V6's can get hot and even sweaty. Look up the Beyer-pad mods that many V6 owners have tried that remedy this problem.

Sound:
Because you said you plan to use either to listen to electronic music, I'll try to simply pick out the characteristics of each phone I've noticed in relation to the electronic stuff I listen to:-
Mid-range bass on SR60's in more apparent than V6's (meaning: more 'thump'? definitely more 'physical kick' from bass heavy tracks)
V6's have deeper bass than SR60's (meaning: I heard bass that I didn't realise was there before in the music - I had the SR60's for about a year and a half before the V6's)
Soundstage is wider, "airier" and more realistic in the SR60's than V6's (personal preference I guess, because soundstage may or may not be important to you for electronic music. I personally don't mind either.)
Overall sound generalisation: The V6's are clear and extremely defined; the SR60's are also very defined but warmer.
Hmm... Perhaps the best way I could describe/compare the two is: the SR60's are to the V6's what incandescent lights are to fluorescent lights respectively.

Build Quality:
The construction of the SR60's is very simple and spartan. More plastic than metal. I like them because the ear cups can swivel, allowing me to lie them flat and therefore saving space in my satchel bag when I go out. The cords are very thick, almost inflexible. I have a feeling they will last a very long time if you take care of them enough. I wouldn't chuck them around though.
The V6's are ruggedly built with much more metal/padding than plastic. I could chuck the V6's at my fish tank and they'll be fine. I wouldn't actually chuck them at my fish tank though. They conveniently fold up into themselves, but even so they're not as flat the SR60's so ultimately they take up more space in my bag.

Ultimately I love both cans just as much, but since acquiring the Sony V6's the SR60's haven't left my house.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers,
Pat.

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #18 of 18
Under $100 the top headphones that offer isolation are:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - These have an extreamly long burn in period which also includes breaking in the headband so they are comfortable. There have been some issues with the headbands breaking or cracking. Some people also find them bass shy but take this with a grain of salt since everyone at the last SoCal meet that tried mine didn't think so. In my opinion, the bass on these extends very low and is strong without being bloated (it doesn't drown out the other sounds) though it can be slightly muddy. This is also the most balanced of the three leaning towards analytical. The isolation these provide is awesome falling only slightly short of the Etymotic ER4's. The 280's do one thing that I really like and they do it very very well... They play quietly still giving you all of the detail. The coiled cord can be a little annoying but is a good length.

Sennheiser PX200 - For me these had a very strange burn-in. I was ready to take them back because they had no bass at all after 48hours burn-in. Someone mentioned cranking up the volume very loud (earsplitting but not distorting) and what do you know... 8 hours later they came to life! Once the bass woke up it took a few tries to get the right seal and some people never get it. If it does fit you right though, they have very good tight bass and oh-so-sweet mids. The highs are a bit rolled off but nice. The PX200's offer enough isolation with music playing that I can sit in a noisy room (Denny's or the not-so-quiet library on campus) and still study. These are my on campus headphones of choice. They also fold nicely and include a nice little carry case that you can toss in your backpack and not worry about damage to the headphones. The cord while a little on the thin side is well suited towards portability and is just the right length.

Sony V6/7506 - I don't own these but have tried them. They offer less isolation than the 280 and press on your ears rather than being circumaural. They sounded pretty good at low volumes but had a tendancy towards overly bloated bass and shrill highs especially as the volume was increased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back