grado sr-60 vs senheisser 497
Sep 19, 2004 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

t-man

New Head-Fier
yeh so whish one should i get out of them two. Ill only be using them on my computer for music mostly: rap rock music. I will sometimes use them for games as well: 3hrs a week. Need to be comfy as i wear around 4hrs a day. So whih one shood i get

Sep 19, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by t-man
yeh so whish one should i get out of them two. Ill only be using them on my computer for music mostly: rap rock music. I will sometimes use them for games as well: 3hrs a week. Need to be comfy as i wear around 4hrs a day. So whih one shood i get

i personally think the Grado's sound much better than the Sen 497's, but not everyone finds them to be comfortable. i can wear them for upwards of 80 hours a week with no discomfort, and i have in the past. i would try to audition them first.

Sep 19, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 11
where can i buy the grado sr-60 in australia? I dont want to get them shipped. An australian online store or retail one would be fantastic. I just cant find any..dunno why

If you find one i would really really really apreciate it

tahnx

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 11
http://www.audiophile.com.au/grado_specs/sr60.html

The australian dristributor for grados sells them at a largly inflated price, and i strongly recommend getting the Alessandro MS-1 from Headphonics (www.headphones.com.au). Both a great product and a retailer second to none.

Good luck with your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers
-jake

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I have not heard the senns. but for the money the Grados sound very, very, good. The one drawback would be if you are planning any kind of rough use the build quality doesn't seem to be real good. As far as sound goes though I think you will be very happy with them.

Sep 19, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 11
I really don't think the HD497 is that great a headphone.
There are similarly priced models that share similar sound characteristics (Beyer DTX800) but sound a lot better overall.

The Grado SR60 is poor value for money locally.

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 11
Heh, wanna buy my pair? quarter-modded and burned in.
Comes with everything.
I'll sell for $100Cdn shipped
tongue.gif
~

Anyhow, for your preferences tman, definitely the grados.
And Natsuiro, the Grados aren't that bad for games either, it's got a lot of punch. Just that Doom 3 I needed some more precise orientation to find monsters in the dark.

Sep 19, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I have not heard the senns. but for the money the Grados sound very, very, good. The one drawback would be if you are planning any kind of rough use the build quality doesn't seem to be real good. As far as sound goes though I think you will be very happy with them.

the build quality is a lot better than you might think.

Sep 19, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 11
I've heard them both, and the Grado SR-60s win, hands down.

I'd remove the comfies ASAP to improve the sound. I think that both the bowls and flats sound better. Perhaps the Sennheiser pad mod would work well for you.

Sep 19, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 11
I have the SR-60s and my roommate has the 497's. In my opinion, his has slightly high sound quality (although i thought they sounded pretty much the same until i tried one after the other right away on the same song), but mine are much more comfortable. i gamed with the comfy pads (until i did the tempurpedic pad thing for even more comfort, described here ) and my ears didn't ache at all. also the headband can stretch on the grados if they are too tight, and the senns don't, i believe.
so if i were you, i'd go with th'labs, as we like to call them in my dorm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back