Grado sr-60 vs Grado sr-80
Jan 7, 2004 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

scoop

New Head-Fier
Well I tried to use the search but didn't find what I was looking for...

What are the difference between the Grado sr-60 and sr-80? And is it worth the extra $$$ to buy the sr-80 ?

Also where can I find it cheap on the net, willing to ship to Europe?

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 15
I own the SR-80s and am very happy with them. I'm driving them without a dedicated amp too. I've heard the SR-60 sounds better with un-amped sources, particularly having louder (but perhaps boomier) and being less bright than the 80s but if an amp is used the SR-80 usually pulls ahead.

Jan 10, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by scoop
Well I tried to use the search but didn't find what I was looking for...

What are the difference between the Grado sr-60 and sr-80? And is it worth the extra $$$ to buy the sr-80 ?

Also where can I find it cheap on the net, willing to ship to Europe?

Thanks!

You can buy them from headroom or TTVJ, or you can use the various ebay sellers that have them, either used or new.Prices on ebay can get rediculously low but you will need time or good ebay software to catch the best buys.

If you do not want to take a risk you might as well buy from todd or headroom, their prices are much,much lower then what we are used to pay in europe anyway.

Correction: I think headroom is no longer allowed to ship to europe, so you will need someone from the US to buy the phones and send them to you.

Jan 10, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by scoop
thanks for the tips! what's "good ebay software" ?

If you go to shareware sites like www.tucows.com or similar, you can find auction software.
This is designed to help you win items on ebay by automatically sending your final bid in the last few seconds of an auction, so that others do not have time to raise the price yet again and outbidding you.

Also there is software that help you search for items on ebay automatically, similar to ebays own system where you receive email when new items have been found conforming to your search criteria.

Jan 11, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 15
Both SR60 and SR80 are the best headphones under$100. They are the Grados with the higest value/price ratio. Both can be driven w/o an amp. There were a rumor that the SR80 need an amp. The amp will definitely improved the sound on both cans, but they are already shine w/o it. The fact that SR60/80 have 1/8" termination makes them much more practical.

The different in sound are
-SR60 is smoother and slighly less aggressive, less bass and less highs, sweet midrange.
-SR80 is more aggressive and has more energy. Slighly more bass and more highs, Can be fatigue sometimes due to shrill highs. sweet midrange as SR60.

I am not entirely sure if the sound different came from the different driver alone, or the pads being used.

NEO

Jan 11, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 15
I compared both and got the SR80's. 120$cdn vs 150$cdn, for 30$, the SR80 won hands down.

Big difference in clarity, though that might have to do with the pads too.

And I went there to purchase the SR60's too...

Jan 11, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 15
but neither have any bass anyway, so the "Boomy" debate is moot. the Sr 80's shrills are even worse than the 60s.

Jan 11, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 15
try www.goodcans.com comparison between teh two.

it is true about the shrill highs, sometimes i just gotta take them off because that **** hurst!

Jan 11, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 15
I love the detailed high-end on my 80's, and am satisfied with the bass. Technically the 60 has more bass, but it's more bloated because of the comfies. The 80's bass is very refined, accurate, and deep. The bowl pads don't bother me, but they're supra-aural on most people, whereas I have small ears and they're circumaural. Overall, a very nice headphone with simply awesome resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back