Grado SR 60 vs Closed DJ style Help me choose!
Oct 1, 2007 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

marshes

New Head-Fier
Hi all!
Just wanted to start out by saying, brand new to head-fi, super excited!!
600smile.gif
looking forward to the long and most likely expensive journey that this wonderful forum will take me on.

What I have What I like to listen to:
At this very moment I'm listening to Techno, with a rap song, and heavy metal song to follow on etymotic research's 6i headphones on my iphone. Love the depth, noise cancellation and accuracy these produce, but use eq's to spice up the music.

General Background on what I know about these headphones
I've read so many posts about the love of their SR60's and it sounds like they are "fun" headphones. But to my understanding they are open, which means not so good for noise cancellation, and means I'd bug other people in the library I'm in right now...
Sennheiser 580's I've been told are great dj style closed headphones.

Looking for...
good sound, with decent bass (but not overwhelming fart cannons)
Grados sound seems exciting but I think I'd be better off with a closed headphone that wont disturb others, and cancel out some of the environment (i like to get away with my 6i's even in a somewhat loud environment). (how loud are grados to others close by anyway?)
Good headphones that don't need pocket amp to be powered, going to be running straight from ipod/iphone/computer

Random question: will grados open design be annoying and take away from the music if I'm in a windy environment aka snowboarding?

Open to any and all other suggestions on other headphones. Price range <150 probably around 100, but sr60's price point is also appealing. What is the difference between the sr60's and the other step ups in grados line up?

Once again Looking forward to exploring Head-fi and getting into crazy sound the way it was meant to be heard!!
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser 580's I've been told are great dj style closed headphones.

No, they're open. The last Senns I've seen DJs using were HD25-1s.

I would not use Grados as portables but I guess some would. They're not only very open but also pretty big. And the cable is clumsy.

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 7
You would certainly be a disctinctive figure, snowboarding with Grados. Nothing against the law, of course, but that's hard to envision...

Are you absolutely committed to headphones per se (vs. in-ears)?

If you're interested in open headphones, I'd suggest using the Etys on the go and getting open 'phones for quieter listening environments. If you'd like closed headphones for on the go (and which could be used in quieter environments, as well), determine whether you would want around-the-ear or on-the-ear headphones (note, though, that on-the-ear headphones excert a vice-like pressure for some users ... which is how passive isolation is achieved).

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 7
I have er6i's right now for in ear absolutely love them! and they make great in ear, but I want a pair of over the ear ones, really tempted to looking more into grados. I would love to be unique snowboarding with grados, etys suck tryingto put on and off with gloves on, size isnt an issue, im not gonna fall snowboarding
smily_headphones1.gif
just debating between open (which i guess id go with grados) or closed, which I havent chosen, maybe a pair of sennheisers

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah -- good point. Handling Etys with gloves on would be pretty awkward, wouldn't it ...

People on Head-Fi generally like open headphones for sound quality and spaciousness, but a pair of closed 'phones would be usable in a wide variety of situations. The Sennheiser HD25-1s are supposed to be pretty good, and I've read that the new designation of what was known as the Sony V6 is supposed to be pretty durable and good sounding. That's two different approaches to look into, right there.

As for the Grados, my brother loves his for guitar rock and blues. Of course, the Grados are his only headphones, and he listens to a lot of guitar rock and blues (and always at home). The Grados seem to be a good bang for the buck headphone, too.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks for the info, hd25's are what I was thinking of. Will definitely consider grados they sound really awesome. And right now I'm going to look into hd25's and sony v6's? Thanks for the input.

Pretty much last question, before I have to make the decision on my own:

If I decide to go with grados, whats your opinion on grado 60 vs grado 80s vs 125s? Although I hear the 225's are amazing, I dont have the money to spend on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back