Grado SR-60 repair help
Jan 28, 2010 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

orfeo

Head-Fier
Hi guys

My left channel for my grado sr-60 was dropping in and out and finally never came back so i decided to open it up and see what's what. After blow drying the plastic to get them open i found that the cord was twisted.

So i thought i'd just cut it off and re solder the cord a bit below that point. I tried this and got no results. I then read something about making sure excess solder is cleared out of the way as the resistance might be too much. So i did this and tried again by just touching the wires to the contacts while music was playing. Still no results, no sound coming through the left channel.

So my question is, could i have blown the driver by using the soldering iron on the contacts, it did have to get it quite hot has there was a huge drop of solder on there. I can't imagine why it isn't working, before i cut the wire i untwisted it and it was working then. So i feel like perhaps i've damaged it in the process of repair. Is there any way to test if the driver is still working? check the resistance with a multimeter?

thanks in advance

orfeo

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 5
i really hate to suggest this but perhaps it's possible the heat conducted into the driver coil and melted it so it's now open circuit...you can test this with a multimeter easily enough...hopefully someone else will know better than i though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I had three Grado SR60's cables wear out at the y-junction. The wires get stressed and eventually break inside. You can test the continuity of the headphone cable since you have the drivers open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back