Grado SR-60 recable and modding (800x600)
Oct 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

So I got some Grado SR-60s a long time ago and while they sounded alright their looks are horrible right from the tacky cable to the cheesy silver lettering on the sides of the cups. After getting a new cable from n_maher I finally decided to get rid of the details that I didn't like about them. My SR-60s where also modded a bit by the previous owner who added some dampening material to the back of the driver and some metal grills.

I started off by taking them completely apart, the cups where not that hard to open up I used the screwdriver method to pry the cups open gently. I found there are two ways to get rid of the silver lettering one is to grind it off with some sand paper another is to use some thinner, I treid this method for the letters that mark left and right. I used some thinner 888 from Hemple which is the most powerful, you might also be able to use some 808 but I doubt it will be as effective.

Since one of the metal grills had a little dent I decided to take them out as well and flatten it out. I also used some sand paper on the metal grills which removed some of the black paint it had on originally. The effect would have been cool if I was able to control the amount of paint that came off them. Right now they look a bit messy and I am going to get some new once I get around to it.

Now I am no soldering iron expert so I left the job of doing a new cable for them to n_maher from this forum, and I must say he did an awesome job the build quality is nothing less than superb. The cable is all black with some soft sleeving and a Neutrik 1/8" plug at the end. Installation was pretty easy I just mapped out the wires on the old cable and for the new and soldered them on. You have to be careful not to touch the surroundings with a hot soldering iron.

Some pictures:
2929182492_0bbf8a1d6b_o.jpg

2928321385_d05c23543f_o.jpg

2928321423_6acc678550_o.jpg

2929182364_ea364f2414_o.jpg

2929182246_a3207ff3f4_o.jpg

2929182178_3edce74371_o.jpg

2928321093_6b164eb9ed_o.jpg

Of course you loose all warranty, and you could damage the drivers if you are very clumsy, but hey it is only a $60 headphone to start off with
smily_headphones1.gif

Most of the mods I have done was to make them look a bit better or to make them more portable. The cable made the sound a bit less sparkly with a slightly warmer midrange. Bass seems a bit more controlled than before, but there is no night and day difference to detect. I can definitely recommend having the cable replace if you want to use them on the move, the new cable from n_maher is so much easier to manage on the move and has exactly the right length and y-split length.

Right now I am thinking about getting a real leather headband for them, but since I do not have any cash at the moment that will have to wait a while.

Feel free to discuss and post pictures of what you have done to your SR-60s or SR-80s in this thread.

Please keep the pictures at 800 px width so that the page layout does not blow up!

Cheers,
Frederik

Disclaimer: If you destroy your headphones by trying to do these mods it is your own fault. If you blow up or otherwise destroy anything, it is not my fault. Eventual consequences of that, you losing your job, girlfriend leaving you etc. etc.. are not my problem either.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. Mind sharing a pic that shows the complete headphone/cable? Also, what cable did you use?

I actually think I was something quite cheap I got it for like $35 plus some shipping bought a 50 mm Nikkor lens from him as the same time. Will have to wait until he replies to give you the full answer

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 16
Cool.. No frills and plain. I like.

Where did you get the cable? I'm thinking of rewiring my sr-225's but nothing too expensive without feeling too cheap.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 16
Looks nice. Makes me want to get another MS-1 right now. I have everything ready to transform them into MS1000. I also got a nice cable (clickable) that I made for them. It's Mogami as well.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that looks awesome, my sr-80 has mogami as well, great cable.

You don't find the sleeving to be too much weight/microphonic?

Well it does weigh a bit but not so much that I notice / get annoyed by it. It isn't all that microphonic the sleeving is very soft.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had mine made by n_maher you should try shooting him a PM if you are interested in one.

Quick point of clarification regarding this, no, you shouldn't shoot me a PM regarding a cable. I made this cable for Frederik as a favor and part of another transaction. I'm not in the business of making them for sale on any sort of regular basis. Also, to be specific the wire is Mogami 2893 mic cable that has been stripped of its jacket and shield and then sleeved with nylon multifilament. I've used this arrangement both for IC's and headphone cables and found it to perform very well for the price.

Nice work on the mods Frederik, they look much nicer than stock Grados to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back