Grado SR-60 < or > Westone Um1?
Apr 5, 2006 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

trevor1189

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this question in a different thread and it was totally off topic so I am posting it here b/c it wasn't answered.

How do the westone um1 compare to the grado 60's? If I own both am I going to not want to listen to one pair anymore? The only reason I am getting these is because sometimes I just don't feel like taking the time to put the westones in my ears and it would be nice to have some nice cans for when I am listening by myself at my pc. Please keep in mind i'm a H.S. student and don't really have the money to up my budget so no "well this one is only $20 more"
biggrin.gif
(even though I would rather get the ms1's but I can get the 60's f/TTVJ for 64.50 shipped.)

Thanks,
Trevor

Apr 5, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 14
trevor1189,
I can't comment on the Westones, but I have nothing but praise for the SR'60's.
My first set of decent cans. I'll keep them no matter what else I get.
Go for it, I don't think you'll ever regret it. JMO.
Jim

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 14
Hey thanks jim, anyone else have an opinion on either headphone or preferably a direct comparison?

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CousCous
If they will primarily be used on the go, get the UM1's. If not, get the grados. At home, I prefer most anything to an iem.

I already got the um1's sry if I didn't make that clear. Right now I am just looking for some reasonable cans for home and i am wondering if the one of them (um1's or sr-60's) will blow the other one out of the water.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 14
I've only heard SR60s briefly, but I'm pretty sure you will find them to sound better than the UM1 by a fairly large margin. I really only use mine when I need isolation, when I'm lying down, or when I want to be sneaky, as they're pretty much invisible when they're in and the cord is going down your back.

Back on topic. Get the SR60s. Different cans for different situations. Even if you find they sound better, you wouldn't be able to hear them as well in a portable situation anyhow. They aren't going to replace your UM1s.

EDIT: Not that the UM1s sound bad. I like them. Go for biflanges if you haven't already, I found the foam really muddies everything.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 14
From my experience, the KSC75 offers a very close sound to the Gardo's.

You may be able to find a store with a Grado demo like I did.
They're great cans nonethe less.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Variety is the spice of life! I can't imagine having only one headphone. You'll be amazed at the different types of sound you'll get!

SR60s are FANTASTIC headphones.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 14
Okay thanks everyone these are the exact type of comparisons I wanted. by the way does anyone know of any way I can try Grados other than to buy them and return if I don't like. I am located in central pa and I really don't know of any places that sell grados around here. Also am I going to find the Grados too bright when compared to the um1's which tend to be more mellow/bassy?

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 14
Unless you really need one there is little to recommend an IEM (earphone) over a real pair of headphones. The SR60 is a remarkable value in an open headphone and it is unlikely to fail prematurely like an IEM or become annoying in your ear like an IEM or cause you to rationalize that companies are considered "great" if they happily replace their poorly made earphones.

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 14
i really like my IEM but they don't compair to my SR-60's. the IEM are very detailed but so are the SR-60's and the sound is so much bigger and much more full but my SR-60's have never left my house. so i would say if you have the money then go for them, you won't regreat it if you do.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back