Grado SR-60 or SR-80?
May 7, 2004 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zyx345

New Head-Fier
I am cosidering picking up an entry level set of Grados. I will mostly use them for guitar playing & some entry level recording.

Is there a noticable difference in sound quality &/or comfort between the SR60 & SR80s?

How is the durability on Grados? I tend to take the headphones off & on frequently.

May 7, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Their not the most durable headphone.. : Wink wink :

I think my pair of SR-60's are pretty durable. I sleep with them and always tangle the cord around/drop the cans on the floor. No problems with the rough treatment whatsoever.

May 7, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 9
grados are pretty durable, and very bendable. and contrary to most people's opinion, very comfortable.

anyways, get the sr60. i've compared the sr80 with the sr60, and personally found that i liked the sr60 more because they were more comfortable and sounded less strill (due to the bowl pads). The sr80 has slightly better bass, but not that noticeable, if at all on most songs.

plus the sr60 is like 20 dollars cheaper. and i only notice these differences on some songs and on certain sittings. most people, particularly those new to headphones, wont notice a difference. i find the sr80 and sr125 quite useless and produced for marketing purposes only.

May 7, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 9
i've had both...i kept the sr60. you need flats with the sr80 which makes them double the price of the sr60...but the comfies that come with the sr60 are easily moddable. sr60 is the best you'll find at that price, IMHO.

May 7, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 9
I think the SR-60 are quite durable and more pliable than most headphones. I recommend them to college students who need to jam them into their backpacks.

May 7, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 9
Hmm...I vote sr60 as well. Using the same pads on both (reversed bowls, my favorite, although I've compared them with all the pad combinations) I'd call it a tie between them on my home rig but portable it's sr60 all the way. They're really two different beasts sonically, not really similar at all (this is very obvious if you use the same pads with both). The sr60 is warmer, less detailed but has a very nice none offensive tonal character (this is with anything but the stock comfies which make the midrange of the sr60 too forward) while the sr80 is pretty dag-gone neutral, more detailed and more transparent and but their highs can be a bit strident at times and they don't groove quite as well as the sr60s.

May 7, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
grados are pretty durable, and very bendable. and contrary to most people's opinion, very comfortable.

I agree that they are alot tougher than they look. But "very comfortable" they're not. Sound wise very little difference, the SR80's are slightly more refined (with amp).

May 7, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 9
For any Grado headphone... they need the FLAT PADS! The comfy are comfy but does not sound as well as the flat, the bowl makes my SR-60 sound like cheap earbuds and they are able to destroy the balance of the Rs-1. I had the possibilty to listen the Rs-1 with both flat and bowl. The soun with flat was way much better. I can't understand why Grado sells headphones with the bowl, they are less comfortable and very worse sounding than the flat.

Mistery...

However, the Grado Sr-60, with the flat pads and after a proper bending of the headband to make them less bassy, more spacious and more comfortable, are very equilibrate and comfortable: I can listen to them for two hours or more without problems, I listen only with The Sr-60 when I mix or record. For sound they win over any headphone I have or I've had (see below). For mixing I prefer them over the Rs-1, because they are more equilibrate, while the RS-1 have a very extended and detailed top-end, but too much laid back for critical monitoring. For "casual" listening I prefer the Rs-1, of course!

Hope this will be helpful.

BYE

Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back