Grado SR-60 OR SR- 225, Which to choose?
Dec 1, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cjc

100+ Head-Fier
How does the sound of these two phones differ? Is it similar or VERY different? Is the build quality about the same? Is the SR-225 really worth $100.00 more? Thanks

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Build quality is equal. The 225 will have a 1/4 inch plug instead of 1/8, so you may need an adapter. They sound very similar except that the 225 will allow better (and deeper) bass and offers a little more refinement in the presentation of details. I always thought the 225 was less shrill than the 60 (not that the 60 is real bad that way).

If you have the $100, get the 225 and never 'really' need to upgrade your Grados again. The 60's are also nice at their price range.

Spare some money for flat pads or the cheaper Senn replacements so that you can experiment with the sound.

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjc
How does the sound of these two phones differ? Is it similar or VERY different? Is the build quality about the same? Is the SR-225 really worth $100.00 more? Thanks

Everything is significantly improved from 60 to 225 and I wouldn't waste time thinking about buying the 225 if you can afford it, many people think it's the best grado headphone of them all (Excluding the very expensive rs-1, hp-1/2 and ps-1).

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 8
The 225s are world class headphones, among the best of the best. The SR-60s are among the best of class in their price range.

I've had the SR-60s for over two years. They were such a huge improvement over the cheap Sonys I was using that I didn't think I'd ever want another pair of headphones as long as I live.

Then I started hanging out at Head-Fi.

I bought the SR-225s a few months ago. Suddenly, I can hear subtle flaws in the SR-60s that I never knew existed (mostly in the high end). The 225s are definitely a noticable improvement (smoother highs and a more engaging musical experience overall), but not as much of an improvement as the SR-60s were over the junk I had previously.

Welcome to the world if diminishing returns in hi-fi. It tends to be true that, after a certain point, you have to double the cost of a component to get the next 10% gain in quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjc
Is the SR-225 really worth $100.00 more?

Only you can decide that. Probably depends on what you're going to do with that $100 if you don't spend it on headphones. If you have to steal the money from your grandma or your kids' college fund, definitely not. If you're going to spend it on p*rn*graphy or crack cocaine, I'd say you're better off with the 'phones.

Keep in mind that you probably won't get out here alive for only $100. Wolfen68 is right...to get the most out of the 225s you'll want to try some different pads.

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 8
I found a big difference between the SR60 and the SR125, but not that much for the better models. I went for the SR125
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 8
take the 60's an run.

i should have followed my own advice.

i had the 60's i came here, bought the 225's at about 150 new (found them on sale), intending to return them, since i was sure they weren't going to be worth the extra cash... i kept them.

sent the 225's out for upgrades and bought a pair of Alessandro Ms-2's used at about 275 in the meantime, thinking i would sell either the modded 225's or the MS-2's, whichever i liked less. still have them both.

not only that but i have other expensive gizmos that i never knew existed till i came here.

moral: if you are content with the 60's don't bother unless you have the money, like clarke said. in my opinion they become worth the money after a while, because if you try to go back you will be unsatisfied.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 8
get the sr60 if you also plan to use them straight out of a portable. the sr60 is, IMHO, the best value headphones PERIOD. so much sound for so little dough. i've never owned the sr225 (but have owned the sr80, sr325, rs1 and now have the sr200), but they're spoken of very highly here. the sr60 used is around $40, so if you can, maybe get both and see which you like...you might end up keeping both - i love my sr60 and am loving my new sr200 as well.

Dec 2, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Unfortunately the sr225's fall into three groups. 1. They are the best grado all rounder. 2. They are not and are rubbish. 3. Don't like grado's (usually senn owners)
very_evil_smiley.gif

From my experience I loved the 225's. And I do truly believe they are the best pound for pound all rounder. With my old EMP combo, truly magic. How they would perform in my current sytem I do not know. But as a owner of all the earmax's the 225's shone with every one of them (anniv excepted). I have never heard an alessandro phone or sr60,sr80,sr125 so I can't comment on those. But I do have the rest. So I offer you this:
If I didn't sell the sr225's then I would sell all of my headphones off beside that and my rs-1's. Please no PM's
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back