Grado SR-60 on Airplanes?
Jul 13, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
How bad is it to listen to music on an airplane with Grados? I need to decide if I want to bring my super.fi 3s on vacation for use on the airplane for the isolation.

Thanks!

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I think the size of the plane your traveling on makes a big difference. Smaller planes are very noisy, especially if you're near an engine. If you get a seat a good distance away from the engines and are on a bigger plane I think you can get away with the sr60s as long as you can listen at lower volumes to not irritate the person beside you. You are still going to loose a lot of detail to cabin noises, so any isolation would be prefered over none.

edited:grammar

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #32 of 38
Hehe...I tried listenin got my Super.fi 3s this morning...

They sound almost as bad as my iPod earbuds. It has more detail, but the sounds signature really sucks. Its very very dry with zero bass whatsoever.

But I guess crappy sounding music is better than good sounding music drowned out by a damn airplane...

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
1) Disagree
2) Disagree
3) Disagree

I used to think this as well, and has been stated before..
Recenlty flew with my Sony V6's (modded), y..anywho, my girl and I just recently went to California, and she took my SR-60's for the hotel room there, whatnot..
anyway, she listened to them on the plane, at the same volume level as normal for her..and as I did, and I could not hear her music (sitting right next to her), and her volume was just as high (level 3.5) as it is at home when monitoring, rather low, was surprised at how awesome they sounded..

We flew SW on the way, and Continental on the way back.
I was salty I did not bring my MS-1s after hearing how great the 60's sounded on the plane...will you lose some detail from being on the plane? yes..but the horror stories are false when using these on the plane, and you will be just happier than ever with them if you decide to bring them...I was very surprised at how well they did.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just be careful with the volume, make sure you monitor at a low level as always, but you should be good to go.

Yes, you can hear part of the music part of the time.

Even a closed headphone is bad on a plane - again, part of the music part of the time - unless you use ear-damaging volume levels.

Use the Etymotic 4 - cuts outside noise down best - allows you to hear all the music all the time in many plane situations - see my car audio link in my signature for a deluxe plane system.

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #34 of 38
I've used my HD555's no problem on a plane several times. I've never tried grados so I don't know how the open-ness compares, but I don't believe I was bothering anyone and I really don't think its THAT loud in a plane that you would have to turn up the volume to extreme levels.

Jul 13, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #35 of 38
In my plane experience, the background noise is loud, constant, and impervious to any attempts to seriously enjoy music. I recently brought my E2Cs as earplugs/phones on an 8-hour flight on a Boeing 767 (near the wing) and went through plane purgatory. Besides the more normal complaints of fatties filling seats and airline food, the E2s helped block out a good bit of the noise, but it still roared through my ears; when listening to music, I found the iPod volume at 40% (usually 20-25%). Also, I had the discomfort of wax and gunk slowly filling up my ears, and spent 5 min. in the terminal restroom clearing it all out w/ tissues.

Just my .02...does noise cancellation work better for this issue?

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff
Also, I had the discomfort of wax and gunk slowly filling up my ears, and spent 5 min. in the terminal restroom clearing it all out w/ tissues.

That sounds gross. Thank goodness for my Asian dry and crumbly earwax.

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff
In my plane experience, the background noise is loud, constant, and impervious to any attempts to seriously enjoy music. I recently brought my E2Cs as earplugs/phones on an 8-hour flight on a Boeing 767 (near the wing) and went through plane purgatory. Besides the more normal complaints of fatties filling seats and airline food, the E2s helped block out a good bit of the noise, but it still roared through my ears; when listening to music, I found the iPod volume at 40% (usually 20-25%). Also, I had the discomfort of wax and gunk slowly filling up my ears, and spent 5 min. in the terminal restroom clearing it all out w/ tissues.

Just my .02...does noise cancellation work better for this issue?

Yes, airplane listening is a real problem for anyone seriously listening to music on a plane. The Etymotic 4 is the best solution but even then airplane listening can be a problem at times.

No. Noise cancellation is inferior to the sound isiolation provided by the Etymotic 4 S or P earphones.

Jul 13, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #38 of 38
(to TenO) Yes, it was gross. I rubbed hand sanitizer over my IEM tips just to get all the wax off...back to the discussion. I belong in the "Grados are useless" camp, because wearing the equivalent of earplugs didn't do the trick at all IMO. There's no way I could have had the concentration to listen to open cans.

I asked about NC, because many of the ads for the technology (i.e., Bose QC2) emphasized their effectiveness on airplane noise.

Oh, and if anybody says it: Yes, this account came from the guy who once had Brian Peppers for an avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back