Grado SR-60 Cable Rattling
Jun 12, 2004 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

zyx345

New Head-Fier
I have a brand new pair of Grado SR-60s which are about 3 days old. They sound amazing & exceeded my expectations. The other day I was playing guitar with them & I noticed a slight buzzing or rattling sound when I played bassy chords on the clean channel of my guitar amp.

I don't hear the buzzing or rattling when I play music through my computer or play distorted guitar.
confused.gif
Could this be the cable rattling inside? Is this natural?
confused.gif

The noise is not a crackle but more of a rattle.

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 2
It could be the part which keeps the cable from being pulled out and therefore disconnecting from the drivers. This is a small plastic knob that it fixed around the cable and holds it inside the driver housing with some slack between there and the driver.

Go to Radioshack and get 3 pieces of ferrite cores. Try them for size and put two on each side and one near the plug. pull gently on the cable and fix the ferrite core butting against the driver housing. You can place a small piece of foam in between for more damping.

I have this "mod" on my Grado SR-60 and it doesnt squeak or rattle anymore. I also hear a mild difference in the sound.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back