Grado SR-40's
Dec 4, 2002 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

timinator

New Head-Fier
I bought these after reading the reviews from the grado meet
and to replace my thrashed SR-60'S.

In two words "They rock"

Basically SR-60's for $20 bucks less and more comfortable!

Dec 4, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 22
i wonder if the lemming effect is going to kick in with this one too. Too bad they're being discontinued. Hurry, hurry! Get yours now, before it's too late!
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 22
The Grado SR40 and SR60 are said to share the same driver. The SR40 has a smaller diameter cord and is made in a different place. I have heard other people say that they are basically the same sound and even more comfortable, but I have to disagree. I think they don't sound as good (much less refined) and aren't nearly as comfortable. Maybe it all depends on the shape of your head, so I would encourage people to try them out first. Depending on your head, they may be a bargain or maybe not.

I think the SR80s are a nice upgrade from the SR60s, especially if you replace the standard pads with the comfy pads. After that, the SR series gets worse instead of better, IMO, unless you are a fan of jacked up highs that make most music sound quite harsh to me. The SR60 and SR80 is the sweet spot in the Grado lineup.

Dec 4, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW
The Grado SR40 and SR60 are said to share the same driver. The SR40 has a smaller diameter cord and is made in a different place. I have heard other people say that they are basically the same sound and even more comfortable, but I have to disagree. I think they don't sound as good (much less refined) and aren't nearly as comfortable. Maybe it all depends on the shape of your head, so I would encourage people to try them out first. Depending on your head, they may be a bargain or maybe not.

I think the SR80s are a nice upgrade from the SR60s, especially if you replace the standard pads with the comfy pads. After that, the SR series gets worse instead of better, IMO, unless you are a fan of jacked up highs that make most music sound quite harsh to me. The SR60 and SR80 is the sweet spot in the Grado lineup.

I basically agree with KurtW. One difference may be that, while the SR60's are open and leak alot of sound, the SR40's are at least partially covered in back by plastic, which reduces sound leakage somewhat. I believe that this gives the SR40's some of the qualities of a closed phone, including some odd resonances in the mid-range. However, when you compare the SR40's against other phones in the same price range such as the Portapros or the Senn202's, I don't think the SR40s come off too badly, since the other phones have their own distortions.

Dec 6, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 22
To my ears, the SR60s do, indeed, provide a more refined sound than the SR40s. But for 40 bucks, I don't even think it's a contest between the Grados and other manufacturer's headphones in that price range. I just shoveled a crapload of snow, and rather than wear earmuffs, I had my SR40s on with my iPod. Music was doo wop of the 50s. I gotta tell you that it was wonderful......great detail, nice bass, and relatively smooth top end. I mean, for $40.......you really can't ask for more.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
I just shoveled a crapload of snow, and rather than wear earmuffs, I had my SR40s on with my iPod. Music was doo wop of the 50s. I gotta tell you that it was wonderful......great detail, nice bass, and relatively smooth top end. I mean, for $40.......you really can't ask for more.
biggrin.gif

Funny, but I thought I was the only one who just did this. The only difference is that I used my Panasonic PCDP and my Koss KSC-50s, and I listened to Steve Lacy. Shoveling was never as much fun. . . .

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
Shoveling with headphones is probably safe but I'd be careful if using a snowblower.
wink.gif

Agree--it was only me and the shovel (and a broom for the car).

Next time, I have to try the Grado's. They sound like a good ear muff replacement.

Dec 6, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 22
I lent (permanently) my SR-40s to a friend with a smaller head. Though they do swivel and sound swell, the plastic headband just wasn't going to bend around my big head in any comfortable manner.

Dec 7, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

I think the SR80s are a nice upgrade from the SR60s, especially if you replace the standard pads with the comfy pads.

Would getting the SR-80s over the SR-60s be worth it for use with my computer (my sound rig ... Audigy is much better than the LIVE despite what some ppl say, and its usefull for my gaming). I'm currently loving my KSC-35s, but I'm looking for more an *entry* into the audiophile world as christmas is coming soon!
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and I mostly listen to hard rock, soft rock, alt., but also some classical/soundtracks, and possibley jazz in the future. Thanks for any advice ... I better pick out something soon or santa will be coming late for me this year
eek.gif

Dec 7, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 22
Oh, and I won't be using an amp ... as my wallet can't afford one
rolleyes.gif
. So I'm looking for the best sounding headphones unamped for use on a computer (<$100). The cans don't really have to be good for gaming, just music as my ksc-35s are pretty good for gaming ... It wouldn't hurt if they were though.

Dec 7, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 22
When I walk my dog I usually use the KSC-35s, but in the winter I use the SR60 because they do keep my ears warmer. This is in California where is isn't super cold so they are about right for keeping the ears warm. I like the KSC35's much better than the SR40s but then I'm not a big SR40 fan. The SR80 is a little brighter than the SR60 so the one you like better may depend on your source. Neither are as bright as the next models up (SR125, 225), which are way too bright for any source IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back