Grado SR-40 find
Apr 5, 2004 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tim_the_gamer

100+ Head-Fier
So I was wandering around and decided to pop into a local hi-fi store I haven't been in for about 8 years and there they were... last pair of SR-40's for $35!

Gave them a listen through a NAD receiver in the store and was plenty pleased with the sound so they were an instant keeper.

For portable use, they sound excellent out of the Rio Karma - better than my PX-200's and my SR-80's. Of course, the 80's sound distinctively better coming out of my soundcard or NAD preamp. Nevertheless, quite a good find. If you need portable phones and can find these, get 'em!

--------------------

I listened to a few other phones in store... AKG 301s (tad bright; decent mids; lacking in the low end), AKG 501s (detailed; balanced... maybe neutral is a better word; decent soundstage), Senn HD212 (too much bass), and Grado SR-325s (Honestly, the highs are a bit harsh - liked the 225s better).

I inquired about the price for the 225's. He offered me $169 for the 225 demos, which appear to be in pretty decent condition (Maybe 8/10 cosmetically). Any opinions if this is a decent price for the 225's?

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 3
saturday audio exchange (http://www.saturdayaudio.com), which has a couple of stores in the chicago area, claims to have the sr40 in stock, i think for under $40. i've never been there, i just happened across their website because they had the nad c541i for $300. would be a good place to try if you're in search of these discontinued headphones.

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 3
I got the 225's new (not demo) for a little less than that when I asked a "online" retailer to beat anothers price, who was out of stock. I don't want to post who that is, in case some of the "Grado Corp" types are lurking around here. PM me if you are interested.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back