Grado Sr-325's at pawn shop; $120!! Only problem is...
May 23, 2009 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Today I was with some of my friends, and we went into a really super crappy pawn shop... But I found some Grado-Sr-325's! I had always wanted some, so I decided to buy them. Unfortunately, in listening to them in the shop on my PMP with my adapter from home I had gotten, I realized that the right ear was completely dead. Anyway, I really didn't want to pass up such a deal, so I bought them because they had a 2-day return policy (technically 3, they're not open on Sundays :bigsmile_face). I really want to fix them before I run out of time to make sure they work because I LOVE their sound. By far the best I have ever heard, only but only because I'm so new to this... First pair of high-end headphones I have owned. The problem here is more that I don't know how to open them up... I know what the problem is as well. The wire leading into the earpiece has become unsoldered from what I can tell. I have never done any DIY, nor do I have much soldering experience. Is the repair easy? Or should I send it into somebody to have it done for me? The warranty is definitely out of date.. They're the first edition of them I think (before the 325i, obviously).

I basically need to know how to open them up to resolder or if I should send them in at all. Do you know if Grado does repairs if their headphones are out of warranty? Sorry if I sound naive.
gs1000.gif

Thanks!!

May 23, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 40
Email Grado and ask if you could pay to have them repaired. I hear it isn't very expensive compared to the value of the headphones.

EDIT: If it's just a wire that came off, find someone in your area who knows how to solder. I wouldn't try this as your first project, though.

May 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 40
Are the cups silver or black?

May 23, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 40
Congrats and nice find. Things like that don't happen like that over here in the UK much.
Hope it's as simple as a bit of soldering. If it does need soldering and you are looking for someone to complete it, take them to a TV repair shop (most also know alot about speakers) I got some repaired for FREE recently on a first time visit, took him 15 secs to repair.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 40
@ Ishcabible: They're silver. Don't know what that means...

To all: I'm gonna send them to Grado. I really don't want to mess with them given my lack in dexterity. Wouldn't want to screw them up.

Moreover, does anybody have any idea how much they would charge?

May 23, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 40
The earliest (I think) were black. Some had HP1000 drivers and sell for around $700. Just curious.

May 23, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 40
Hey, great deal! I hope you can get your 325s fixed.

May 23, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 40
If those just need a soldered wire, you got a great deal! Even if they need some repairs from Grado it'll still be worth it. But you might as well check first to see if it's not just easily fixable to get the maximum deal!
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 40
LingLing1337: There is no "i" after the 325. Older model, not "improved".

May 23, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by qawsedrf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*starts raiding pawnshops all over my country*

Well, good luck with that.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back