Grado Sr-325i impressions
Apr 22, 2005 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
I don't like these and I was really looking forward to getting them.
frown.gif
I'll tell you why; they're far too bright, don't have any warmth in the midrange and have a lightweight bass response. The Grado Rs-1s sounded warm and bassy with a sweet top end. The 325i's sound the opposite, cold, sterile, dynamic but overly bright and sibilant. Even drums sound too snappy, electric guitars too aggressive and kick drums have no kick.
I'm dissapointed I don't like them, but after today was spent burning them in I've come home, and they still sound 90% the same as they did yesterday. Perhaps a little less bright but still too bright and with no change to the bass. I don't get it, I thought I was a Grado person but my rs-1s sounded so much better from the same sources, so much more mellow and refined but still with the trademark grado dynamics, guitar detail, drum snap/impact and bass.
I'm actually starting to really like my hd-595's, they're even ok with rock now, the midrange is a bit dark still but the mid and upper bass has become more prominent over time. Noooo I don't want to do a U-turn, I don't want to join the dark side!
My theory: The sr-325i's need flat pads to emphasise the bass and tame those highs, rs-1s sound great with reversed bowls, these don't. I think I'll be contacting TTVJ or headphile soon.
Impressions after two days more burn-in:
After two days burning in these sound less bright. However it's still not got bass, warmth or refinement like the rs-1, that's in another league IMO. Also even with reversed bowls there's not enough bass and it's still a bright headphone. I still prefer my hd595 with anything but rock/metal, and even then it's a close call.

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 59
Let me make a few suggestions:

I know and understand exactly what you are expressing here but I believe that a lot of your negative reactions will go away with a little bit of acclimatization.

The 325i is a very nice headphone...along the lines of the MS2 and SR-325. I rate them in the top 10 best headphones under $1000.00

Things to do:

* Use the bowls - stick to the bowl pads and give them some more time. I like the flat pads but I feel they detract from the detail and nuances of the music while adding lushness and bass.

* Listen at low volumes in a noise free environment...this is where these headphones really come alive and you will start noticing the warmth and bass as your brain re-equalizes to this sound

* Use a nice amp with them...they beg for current and cry when denied.

Give them time and give them a chance. I cannot guarantee that you will like them because this requires an open mind. When I heard the 325 at first I was a bit overwhelmed by the intensity of the upper frequencies. BUT they reward you with a very nice presentation for vocals and acoustic instruments. Just try Eric Clapton / Pavarotti etc.

I am interested in your approach to them after reading this message. I want to know what steps you took and what progress you made and if your opinion changes over time.

Best regards,

gs

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 59
Comparatively your comments are understandable. After all, if I owned an RS-1 I probably wouldn't like any lower model grados either!

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 59
I just love the SR-325i's and don't find them bright in any way
confused.gif
They were a bit thin sounding for the first 48 hours but the bass and warm midrange kicked in after a couple of days break in. I've tried them with both the WNA MKll and the G&W J1 amp and they sound gorgeous (lush and fluid yet also very accurate homing in on every minutiae of fine detail) They're superb with jazz music, brass instruments sound "ever so real" through them..... I won't waffle on as everyone on the planet has a different set of ears and hears things differently but to my set of ears the SR-325i's are superb (accurate and musical) transducers and they've been spending a great deal of time on my head.. they've also managed to get my toes tapping which is something very few 'phones I have listened to can do.

As to the pads..... well those "bowl" efforts that come as stock are just plain uncomfortable (on my ears) and I find if the drivers are closer to my ears the sound improves fourfold (warmer, deeper bass, smooth highs, bags more detail) I'm currently using the Senn 414 pads which are a lot more comfortable (on my ears) compared to the stock bowl pads. They aren't as thick as the bowls and have more give (sponginess) in them so are both more comfortable on the ear and also bring the drivers closer to your ears which IMO improves the sound.... just grasp the outer edges of the metal earcup housings and push the housings toward your ears and you'll see what I mean......... I doubt very much if the "pads" make much of a difference per se' but the proximity of the distance between driver and ears certainly makes a difference and my ears prefer thin pads which which bring the drivers closer to the ear.

Great 'phones and highly "tuneable" to your own ears...... give them a few more days and try experimenting with pad thickness until you hit your "sweetspot".... what are you amping them with?

All the best.

Mike.

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 59
taymat,

Your experience with the 325i is very similar to mine. In my opinion, the 325i is simply too bright -- and I generally like brighter headphones. Further, the mids and highs had an unpleasant edginess to them.

Personally, I'm a bowl user. I've been told that you need to use flats with the 325i, bowls are too bright. Fine. But my experience with flats is that they affect the midrange is ways I find unacceptable.

The MS-2i, on the otherhand, I found to be an excellent headphone. I don't think the bass is any better than the 325i (which I found okay, by the way -- not as much as the RS series, but good enough for me) but the highs are tamed, even with the bowls. They're still not has warm as the RS series, but they're nice.

Apr 22, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 59
I've just rigged up a bodge job-an old pair of hitachi headphone crap small pads loosely hanged over the sr-325i's cups. The sound is much better in the bass and midrange area but highs are gone! However if I lift them away from my ears just slightly, they sound very good. I am now seriously considering beta c-pads.
BTW I tried the 595 and 325i with the two best amps I have, even with the karma the 325i sounds bright. It's not just that either, it's that it sounds noticeably sibilant with reversed bowls/bowls with all these sources.

Apr 23, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
I don't like these and I was really looking forward to getting them.
frown.gif
I'll tell you why; they're far too bright, don't have any warmth in the midrange and have a lightweight bass response. The Grado Rs-1s sounded warm and bassy with a sweet top end. The 325i's sound the opposite, cold, sterile, dynamic but overly bright and sibilant. Even drums sound too snappy, electric guitars too aggressive and kick drums have no kick.
I'm dissapointed I don't like them, but after today was spent burning them in I've come home, and they still sound 90% the same as they did yesterday. Perhaps a little less bright but still too bright and with no change to the bass. I don't get it, I thought I was a Grado person but my rs-1s sounded so much better from the same sources, so much more mellow and refined but still with the trademark grado dynamics, guitar detail, drum snap/impact and bass.
I'm actually starting to really like my hd-595's, they're even ok with rock now, the midrange is a bit dark still but the mid and upper bass has become more prominent over time. Noooo I don't want to do a U-turn, I don't want to join the dark side!
My theory: The sr-325i's need flat pads to emphasise the bass and tame those highs, rs-1s sound great with reversed bowls, these don't. I think I'll be contacting TTVJ or headphile soon.

The 325i is an amazing headphone. If they don't sound right, it's the recordings (or equipment) that ain't up to the task. For example, Eleanor McEvoy's Yola SACD sounds positively wonderful and balanced; many pop/rock CD's sound like s--t....bright, compressed and shrill. Vinyl sounds lovely. I can hear the different characteristics of different cartridges. The 325i tells you everything about what's there, whether you like it or not. It's detailed, images wonderfully, and is lightning fast. Recreates an actual musical event you can tap your feet to. If this is too much to handle, try something worse.

Apr 23, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
I've just rigged up a bodge job-an old pair of hitachi headphone crap small pads loosely hanged over the sr-325i's cups. The sound is much better in the bass and midrange area but highs are gone! However if I lift them away from my ears just slightly, they sound very good. I am now seriously considering beta c-pads.
BTW I tried the 595 and 325i with the two best amps I have, even with the karma the 325i sounds bright. It's not just that either, it's that it sounds noticeably sibilant with reversed bowls/bowls with all these sources.

The c-pads significantly tame the highs on the 325i's. They're like a different headphone completely, vs with the bowls. When I first got them and was using the bowls, I thought they were relatively bright (but incredibly detailed because of this) and was punchy but lacked low end extension - compared to my 595's. With the c-pads, they sound a lot more like the 595's, but the treble is smoother (yes, I think it makes the 595 treble sound harsh) and the bass is just as pronounced and extended as the 595's. I'll say the 325i's sound a lot 'darker' with teh c-pads, vs the bowls. In a way, I think it takes some away from the treble detail, and I was a little disappointed in that. But overall, they are smoother and more listenable. It sounds like the c-pads might be good for you, though I wish they fit me better and didn't cost so much.

Apr 23, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 59
Hello All,

Could someone please comment on the differences between the SR-325 and the SR-325i?

I will be finishing a Zen and Dynalo here in the next few weeks and intend to do some blind listening tests to discern any differences. I will be sure to share my conclusions.

Regards,
Bryan

Apr 25, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 59
oo I see it now..might as well say something in this post then...ummm

get the c-pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back