Grado SR-225 vs. AKG K1000?
Feb 15, 2005 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
I must say... I listened to the SR-225's yesterday, and I liked them *very* much.

In fact, one of the things that surprised me was that the soundstage was *not* inexistent. It was actually quite decent, and the instrument separation seemed pretty good. I also like the very perceivable clarity there was to everything (perhaps b/c of brightness), and how much I found myself moving my leg up and down to the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and I love the BASS. Just as punchy/impactful as I'd read it would be.

So I'm tempted to get the SR-225s, since they're great with rock and such. At the same time, I've read many great things about the now-usable-for-mortals K1000 now that the SI amp can power them for $40.

Has anyone compared the SR-225s and K1000s extensively? What are their pro's and con's?

Thanks.

PS: I'll be selling my CD-3000s, so these are not meant to "complement" them at all.

Feb 15, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 7
They are great headphones, but are not very good "reference" cans because they are "too" fun
tongue.gif

I loved their sound, and at first I just couldn't get enough of it - then I owned them for three months and the extremely forward sound was the "same old". I found it was great with some music, REALLY bad with others (chamber orchestra music, slow and soft songs).

Comfort levels and soundstage were the biggest problem for me. Loved the sound, but I got tired of listening after 30 minutes or so.

Feb 15, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Did you find the 271's to fix the 225's flaws while maintaining their rockability and fun?

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I did, yes. They don't sound as good as grados in some levels, mainly resolution or bass impact. However, details, comfort, mids and highs, bass extension (believe it or not) all sounded better on the AKG's. I think this is mainly because these are closed headphones, and this attributes to why you can "feel" the bass better.

Overall better dynamics, as soon as these opened up. I had doubts earlier in the stages of breakin, but now I am very satisfied. However, that energy and romantic sound will be missed. But I think the compromises allow for many other advantages.

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 7
What's the difference between the resolution and detail?

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 7
I used the test on a group singing of like... eight different scottish people
tongue.gif

Resolution, as I define it, is the ability to take details and sounds and produce them faithfully each with their own distinctiveness, adding to the richness of the sound.

I think of it as the ability to fit how many sounds into a given space, similar to the resolution of a monitor or a TV.

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
What's the difference between the resolution and detail?

I was thinking the same thing ... I thought they're the same.

Well, at least they go together.
wink.gif

On topic: I think K1000 still need some help in the bass dept. Of course better opinion from Neilpeart et al will pour in soon. On 271s I agree bass extend lower, but at the same time doesn't have as much punch as Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back