Grado SR-225 owner, looking for something else
Jan 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kag

New Head-Fier
As the title says, I own a pair of Grado SR-225 that I listen through a HotUSB1. I think I should have went with closed cans. My previous pair was closed and I'm missing the feeling of being alone in my little world when I had them on. I didn't think it was going to bother me, but it seems to be.

Also, while I think my Grados sound pretty damn well, I think they lack bass. I usually listen to heavy metal and rock music. The bass-drum isn't as "punchy" as I would like. I find myself boosting the bass signal in iTunes more often than not. Am I alone?

And lastly, if I could find a pair of cans that is more comfortable, that would be great. I'd say my Grados are tolerable, but not uncomfortable.

I'm looking for something in the same price range.

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 19
May I suggest browsing HeadRoom's offerings. Not only is there a comprehensive list of solutions within the price range you're looking, but HeadRoom provides you with their own impressions of each that I've found to be very valuable and accurate.

Once you see one you're interested in, you can shop around for the best price available or purchase straight from HeadRoom. Additionally, don't forget the used can forum where you could get used versions of normally more expensive cans that find their way within your budgetary limit.

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 19
haha perfect thread for me! Just came from SR-225 (like a week ago
tongue.gif
) and now have ALO-780. Pretty much everything I could ever want! The drums are very punchy and there's a lot of bass there but they do not drown out the mids and high's. The high end still shines and sounds wonderful. The soundstage: say the SR-225 is a 3/10, the ATH-AD700 are a 10/10, I think the ALO-780 are a 5/10. They have amazing instrument seperation. Smallish soundstage with awesome instrument seperation is what you want for rock and metal. I listen to Bon Jovi sometimes but mostly Lamb of God, DevilDriver, In Flames, Children of Bodom etc. Since used, they are around double the price of the SR-225 but I think they may be THE headphones for you, may I suggest something like the PRO 750. The stock HFI-780 is considered horrible but the ALO-780 is considered 90% of the ED9 which costs like 3 times as much
biggrin.gif
The HFI-680 are a less bassy version of the HFI-780 which at stock, is what you want, or the PRO 750. My ears are inside the earpads, so it's very comfortable, but they clamp into my jaw a bit, but that's where Veolur Beyerdynamic DT250 pads come in handy
wink.gif
. They leak VERY little sound at all. The Grado's leak a lot and the ALO-780 are a huge change.

My suggestions:

Ultrasone HFI-680
Ultrasone PRO 750

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 19
I sold my sr225 long back, but now I have a GS1000~ it does sound a lot better, yet still doesn't solve the comfort issue. if you are looking for bass and comfort at around 200~ get Beyerdynamics DR770/880/990~ or denon d2000.. However, if you can raise your budget to around 700-800~ I suggest you get the JVC DX1000~ that can really bring your listening experience to a whole new level.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 19
Wouldn't Ultrasone be better for him? All the one's you suggested AFAIK, aren't as aggressive as Grado's or Ultrasone's and need fairly good amps to get them to sound good.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 19
Umm, I can't comment on it coz I never had a proline ultrasone. however, I do have a Ultrasone ED9. It is still not nearly as comfortable to me as Beyer dtXX0, even though ultrasone claims they used baby sheep skin on the pads etc... One very noticeable characteristic of ED9 is the speedy bass..I like it a lot!! fun and enjoyable, but other than that..really nothing special. I think the whole S-logic staff is just a marketing strategy or Im just not a good listener.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't Ultrasone be better for him? All the one's you suggested AFAIK, aren't as aggressive as Grado's or Ultrasone's and need fairly good amps to get them to sound good.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 19
Haha yeah the bass on my ALO-780 is wonderful. This is my 1st Ultrasone but really want to try the PRO 900 and possibly a re-cabled PRO 900 as well.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, while I think my Grados sound pretty damn well, I think they lack bass. I usually listen to heavy metal and rock music. The bass-drum isn't as "punchy" as I would like. I find myself boosting the bass signal in iTunes more often than not. Am I alone?

I have both the SR-125 and Sr-225, and MUCH prefer the 125 over the 225, and partially because the bass is more present and punchier on the 125's

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 19
Wow, now I need to try the 125's
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 19
Should have picked up those woody MS1i when they were on ebay
tongue.gif
. I would love something low-end that I can mod or buy already modded. Like woody, re-cabled Grado/Alessandro
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the SR-125 and Sr-225, and MUCH prefer the 125 over the 225, and partially because the bass is more present and punchier on the 125's

I listened to the SR-125 before buying my SR225, but I felt the highs were too bright.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I should have went with closed cans. My previous pair was closed and I'm missing the feeling of being alone in my little world when I had them on.

And lastly, if I could find a pair of cans that is more comfortable, that would be great. I'd say my Grados are tolerable, but not uncomfortable.

I'm looking for something in the same price range.

May I suggest Denon AH-D2000. Its a closed headphone, comfortable as said by many headfiers, and I assume it has a nice sound too.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I suggest Denon AH-D2000. Its a closed headphone, comfortable as said by many headfiers, and I assume it has a nice sound too.

If the D2000s could be considered a more modest version of the D7000, then I would definitely recommend them. The D7000s are very comfortable on my head, and very light. I imagine the D2000s are the same way. I also own the Beyerdynamic DT770s and DT990s, which are both very comfortable (although the DT770 is the closed one of those two). If you are really into bass, the DT770s are really fun sounding cans. Don't let people tell you they suck before you get to hear them yourself, because there are a lot of Beyer-haters around here.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 19
Another way to go could be the AKG K 271 MK II. Closed back and a detailed, clear resolution. I'm not particularly fond of the AKG sound myself, but a lot of people hail it as pleasant while still being analytic enough for quick and layered music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back