Grado sr-125, would an (entry level) amp benefit its sound?
Nov 9, 2008 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Amebix

New Head-Fier
I've had the Grado sr-125s for some time, mainly using my laptop (headphone out) as its source.
Im only using them indoors, as outdoors I use a couple of cheap AKG-k26 closed phones.

The volume is never a problem with the Grados, at least not with the laptop, so I only wonder about sound quality/clarity/seperation/soundstage/etc.

I've tried searching around the forum a bit, but Im not sure how the sr-60s, sr-80s or the sr-325s (which seems to be the most widely discussed grados) compares to the sr-125s, and I cound not find a clear answer to my question.

From your experience with similar phones (grados), how much will they benefit from a 30$ amp? And as compared to a 100$ amp?

Are there any amps in particular in this price range (up to 100$) I should look into?

As I have a laptop that Im moving around different rooms Im looking for an at least semi-portable amp, but I could consider a larger one.
As for other technical specs, e.g. if the amp should have an option to be driven by the laptops usb or not, I have no idea.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 9
The SR125 was the first full size headphone I purchased after joining Head Fi. At the time I paired it w/ the PA2V2.

Fast forward to 2008 and now we have new offerings by Head Direct and iBasso's. Boy have things changed for the better.

So you have a few options to choose from in the under $100. For example:

-MiniBox-F
-iBasso T4
-Filio 3 or 5
-PA2V2
-Cmoy

Good luck.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, there seems to be many alternatives, perhaps too many :p
But thanks, some of them I have read a little about.

What did you think about the PA2V2, and how do you think they improved the sound in the 125s, compared to using them without an amp?

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 9
I am getting a pair of sr-125's tomorrow from a trade will report back with impressions from a sr-71a and a tomahawk
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the time (Summer of 2005) I thought they were a good match. Nowdays, hard to tell w/ the other alternatives.

Sounds good, Im really considering buying an amp now. Ill google and read some more on the topic before choosing one.

hockeyb213: Looking forward to it.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 9
My 2 cents with Grados is, save the money for better cans. I would rather see you sell the SR125s and add the extra money for a SR225 or SR325i.

Grado's do benefit from amping , but I think that you will see a better improvement with moving up the headphone ladder.

The only caveat to this is source though. Something that has a built in DAC like iBasso's offerings may represent a tremendous increase in sound quality because of the improvement in source. The USB DACs I have heard better with good files than built in soundcards or just my iPod.

Source is so very important.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 9
I have SR80's and also had and recently sold a Mini^3 amp. From what I remember, I did not notice a significany improvement in sound from just adding in a amp.
I remember the biggest improvement came from using a DAC. I had a headphonia DAC cable running out of my computer into the Mini^3 and that DAC gave me a MUCH greater increase in sound quality compared with just the amp alone. If you do get a amp, also look into getting a DAC too
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 9
The 225s are lightyears better...definitely save and get those...got them for an unbeatable price from
8thstreet.com Online Music Superstore 1-800-878-8882

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2 cents with Grados is, save the money for better cans. I would rather see you sell the SR125s and add the extra money for a SR225 or SR325i.

Grado's do benefit from amping , but I think that you will see a better improvement with moving up the headphone ladder.

The only caveat to this is source though. Something that has a built in DAC like iBasso's offerings may represent a tremendous increase in sound quality because of the improvement in source. The USB DACs I have heard better with good files than built in soundcards or just my iPod.

Source is so very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back