Grado SR-125 vs MS1 (and maybe 225)
Aug 7, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #16 of 19
I would go for the MS-1 over the 225 or 125. The Alessandros are made for studio use so they're inherently more balanced, neutral, and less fatiguing than the Grados, which makes them better in my opinion.

Aug 7, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #17 of 19
Having not heard the alessandro's, i'm not sure that more neutral or balanced since i already have the AKG K501. I'm looking to get a set of headphones that can light a fire into my rock music. With the AKGs, rock sounds good, but without energy. It's very sterile and analytical. With jazz, smooth rock, and classical, the AKGs are brilliant.

How do the MS1's compare directly to the 225s?

Aug 8, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
recently i've been going back and forth between my ms1 and sr225 and while i'm not saying that the ms1 is better, it's less fatiguing to my ears. i really like a bright presentation but sometimes the sr225 (with bowl pads) can be to piercing to listen to after two hours. at that point, i usually switch to the ms1. the ms1 don't have the energy and tight bass that the sr225 has but it's still a fun set of cans.

if you want a great set of cans for your money then get the ms1. to me it's at least 90% of the sr225. if you can afford the price for the sr225 then go for it. either one is a great choice but be aware that they sound a bit different. you can tell that they from the same sound family, it's just that the sr225 has more of everything.

It really sounds like you need to try Senn 414 pads or flats. They make a huge difference and balance things out (particularly the Senns) and lessen the fatigue factor. Without different pads, I would have ditched my 225's long ago.

Aug 8, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

How do the MS1's compare directly to the 225s?

With bowl pads; surprisingly similar. MS-1s seem slightly less forward and have a little less defintion and air. To me, the comfy pads stock with MS-1s aren't the greatest. If you add bowl pads you're looking at about $120. I'd go for lightly-used 225s since I'd imagine they would scale to better gear more than MS-1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back