Grado sound good with Meier Headsix?
Dec 31, 2007 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chickenman

500+ Head-Fier
Just wondering because I have received some cash during xmas and I currently have the MS1s. Also, I am looking to buy higher up, so would this be a good buy?

P.S. - It would be very helpful if I was able to get a list of headphones/IEMs that synergized well with this amp.

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 10
sigh.. 28 views and no reply? I tried searching, but not much results. Any input will be well appreciated, thanks!

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 10
I dont have any Grados or a Headsix but the Grados are low impedance and the Headsix should be able to drive them. As for sound, people say Meiers are a tad warm and have a sweet top end. Headsix looks like a super bargain as well. I say go for it and if it blows then return it and get your cash back.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks you for your input. since i have the ms1s, would anybody think itll match the headsix as it is more neutral than the sr series?

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 10
I own MS1 and Corda Move. I do believe that they go very well together.Good detail on the highs and very defined low end for that kind of money. Hope it helps...

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm using my SR-325i with a porta corda MKIII and an Aria. I'm very pleased with the combination. It should be noted that I haven't tried my phones with any other (decent) amps, so I might be ignorant.

To sum up: I can't really say if it's a very good buy, but it is definitely not a bad buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I received my Headsix on Friday and listened much of the weekend to it with my SR-60s. I wouldn't hesitate to match the Headsix and your MS1s, I think you'll be very pleased. Initial impressions are that the Headsix has excellent bass quality (I've never heard my Grados sound so good on the bottom end) and beautiful mids. The highs are detailed but not harsh or overly emphasized. Send Dr Meier an email and your money and rest easy!

Rich

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own MS1 and Corda Move. I do believe that they go very well together.Good detail on the highs and very defined low end for that kind of money. Hope it helps...

Ditto... from what I've read the Headsix amp is identical to the amp in the Move, so it should sound identical (as when using only the amp of the Move with an external source).

My RS-1's sound great with the Move - as described above - which is ranked as the 3rd best portable amp available - although, I must admit, my Shellbrook MaxiMoy sounds almost the same (the MaxiMoy may have a bit more air, warmth and liquidity, but just a "wee bit less" bass definition).

Perhaps... I'm just not as discerning, or critical, as others... but... it seems to me there is very little difference between any of the top portable amps... or... at least too little difference not to pick any of them, and just go for the best value.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 10
Posted this in the Gear Stash Thread:

I use the HEADSIX with my Grados every time I listen and I find it matches really well with both of them even though the HF-1 and 325i sound very different. I really like the sound. When I get around to upgrading my home rig with a DAC and home amp I am thinking I will go with another Meier if I decided to go solid state over tube.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Wow, thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll seriously consider buying this as soon as I return to the states. This will have to do as a home amp until I save enough money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back