grado sound but less bright
Jan 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #46 of 52
225 or rs-1 you can't go wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by cello
it seems like the grado sr225s wouldn't be less bright enough... i've heard that they're very similar in the brightness, only that the sr325s are ever so slightly more bright

Not sure how much change you're looking for, but I want to say it wasn't a subtle difference when testing 80/225/325/RS-1s in a shop (Denon CD with Mint). The 225s had much more in common with the RS-1s than either with the 325s. As I've said before, the 325s came off like a more refined 80s, the 225s came off like a poor man's RS-1. With that setup I had to listen very closely for for a difference between the latter two.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
edit: oh yeah, they tell me the ms series is a lot less bright but i haven't heard any.

who's saying that?
confused.gif

From what i'm hearing so far MS Pro has a silvery edge over RS1 which can sound metalic and bright on some program.
Definitely a reco with a caution esp. someone is looking for a treble mellowness.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i just remember people saying they were more neutral but looks like ac1 says they're more painful than rs1s. interesting...[/URL]

neutrality and percieved brightness are two different things.
Any transducers can be on a neutral scale yet treble region can be open and free of grain.

Conversely, it can have a warmer tonal balance overall yet can have congested upper frequencies.

I don't even think that MS Pro is much of a departure from RS1 as far as a tonal balance goes to be honest.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by cello
anyone know of a type of headphone that's less bright than grado, but still punchy and great for rock. It turns out that my grado SR-325s simply hurt my ears, regardless of what I do (i've tried using different pads, different sources, etc..., and the same thing happens).

Try RS2. It's trebles are whole lot more open than any of the SR series. ( for Grado standard anyways )

May I suggest adding a decent sound card or DAC to your G4? Even the uncompressed files off my G4 ( Titanium ) Mac's DAC isn't really complementing Grado phones at all.

I've once tried RS1 off my Mac. It's ok as long as volume is parked sensibly. ( anything beyond that, ear bleed and flubby bass city )
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #51 of 52
is it really worth getting a different type of grado when I've tried doing everything with this grado? I think I just have extremely sensitive ears.

Like, for example, I've tried decreasing the equalizer setting for treble, and still get pain after a while. I guess my question is this: If i know that by reducing the treble on the equalizer and using senn pads on my sr-325s doesn't help, is it worth getting a different type of grado? Wouldn't an alessandro or different grado just be similar to a sr-325 with different equalizer settings? (in terms of how much they hurt my ears —_not in terms of sound quality).

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #52 of 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back