Grado Service: SR-60s Repaired or Replaced?
Oct 28, 2011 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nanker Phelge

New Head-Fier
My SR-60s (purchased in 2009 and not the SR-60is) just returned in record time from servicing at Grado Labs. Fantastic. But they're not the same headphones I sent in.

Before sending in the original damaged pair, I scanned them to identify them as mine when they returned. The wear on the silver paint of the words -- The Prestige Series, SR 60, Grado Labs -- on the cups and grills are completely different. I'm not complaining about the wear to the paint, the paint was worn and chipped like that new out of the box three years ago, but I kind of liked the idea that those were going to be my cans for the next decade or so. I broke them in with pink noise after I bought them, I bought the HD414 ear pads, and I took care of them best I could. They fit like a glove and I recognized the sound. They were perfect and they were mine.

The ones I'm currently using as I listen to the Butthole Surfers' first album and write this post are new or refurbished. They have to be. There would be no reason to open up or replace the cups (especially both cups), as the only problem was the left channel cord fraying away from the plastic triangular junction that separates the left and right channel cords (I have no idea what that piece or part is called), causing the wires to loosen and eventually lose connection so that the sound didn't work. That little plastic piece would have been the only thing that would have needed to be opened and/or replaced for a little soldering. Although a minor repair on this forum, I was willing to part with $25 and the cost of shipping for factory servicing because I have no experience with soldering and wasn't willing to learn on my beloved headphones.

Should I be disappointed? I kind of am. Should I be happy I got a new or refurbished pair for only $25? I'm really not. And I really hope they aren't refurbished, but the SR-60s are a discontinued model and they probably didn't come from some cache of brand new, undistributed SR-60s. But maybe they did. I don't know. That's why I'm here with these concerns. I'm sure I'll stop obsessing in a few days weeks and these will become "mine," but this wasn't what I expected when I sent them in. If I had known my original pair wouldn't have been returned, I would have sought out a local expert to do the minor repair.

Thoughts, sympathy, or chastisement from the real experts, the members of head-fi.org, the forum that turned me on to the SR-60s, would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 4
Plenty of more seasoned veterans on here to shine light on your dilemma but my guess
is with your gut feeling.

Those phones are new.

I've read across my travels that anything current production that is considered faulty,
Johnny G reserves the right to bin them aside and send you new phones. He's been
known to do it.

Vintage stuff like the HF series, PS1 or early RS1's is a different kettle of fish
since he probably does not have the spares around anymore and would be
more than aware of the sentimental value to the original owner.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 4
SR-60 is exactly the same as SR-60i, it's just the SR-60i just has improved aesthetics... the larger air chamber is negligible since it's plastic anyway.

Theres no such thing as refurbished, all the parts are replaceable, not repairable, they don't even bother with the broken stuff and they replace everything at once... how odd that they gave you new cups as a courtesy! They wouldn't throw our perfectly functioning drivers though and for $25 you got a helluva deal for a cable and new cups considering it's 10 dollars on their end just to ship them back!

Don't stress, there is no such thing as a refurbished Grado, only a Grado with replaced parts... you can send the most rattiest Grado back and they'll send you a great one back just as long as you agree to their terms and pay the required fees. That is probably one of the bigger reasons I like Grado other than sound, it's just ease of repair on their end so you don't have to wait like 2-4 weeks to get your stuff back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back