Grado Selection help
May 20, 2020 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

marcgii

Head-Fier
So after seeing how Zeos (the reviewer) daily drives the SR60, I decided I want to try some Grado's myself. What's the most direct upgrade over the SR60e? I figured I'd start higher up the stack so I won't be tempted to upgrade so soon. I'm considering anything up to $500. And I plan to primarily use them with the Hagerman Tuba tube amp. Advice on other Grado's more distinguished from the SR60 would also be appreciated. Grado's don't seem to get much attention from reviewers which has made selection difficult.

I

May 20, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 11
Just get the 80. Or the 60. I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be between them.

I own the 80 and the 225.

I have no idea why all they make so many different models of these.

I have no idea why they make those terrible bowl pads on the 225 and 325. I replaced those pads on my 225 with the flat ones as soon as I took them out of the box.

May 20, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 11
I haven't experienced anything outside of the Prestige Series, but I do have both the SR60s and the SR325's (bear in mind that these are not the updated models so what you purchase may be slightly different). Moving between the two is a definite upgrade in every area. Most notably, the SR325 has a substantially wider sound stage and expands upon the lovely open Grado sound signature. The SR60 sounds somewhat stuffy and closed in compared to the SR325s.The SR325 also has a greater level of detail and clarity across all frequencies. When listening to detailed orchestral music I am able to isolate instruments and precisely identify individual notes much more easily. While no Grado that I've heard is particularly bass heavy, the SR325 has a more impactful bass response compared to the SR60s. So I've heard, the SR80s and SR125s are a fairly incremental upgrade from the SR60s, so if you want to stay in the Prestige series than I would recommend the SR325s. If you are willing to go up to $500 you could consider the RS2e but I've never been in favor of spending more simply because there's a more expensive option.

May 20, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I haven't experienced anything outside of the Prestige Series, but I do have both the SR60s and the SR325's (bear in mind that these are not the updated models so what you purchase may be slightly different). Moving between the two is a definite upgrade in every area. Most notably, the SR325 has a substantially wider sound stage and expands upon the lovely open Grado sound signature. The SR60 sounds somewhat stuffy and closed in compared to the SR325s.The SR325 also has a greater level of detail and clarity across all frequencies. When listening to detailed orchestral music I am able to isolate instruments and precisely identify individual notes much more easily. While no Grado that I've heard is particularly bass heavy, the SR325 has a more impactful bass response compared to the SR60s. So I've heard, the SR80s and SR125s are a fairly incremental upgrade from the SR60s, so if you want to stay in the Prestige series than I would recommend the SR325s. If you are willing to go up to $500 you could consider the RS2e but I've never been in favor of spending more simply because there's a more expensive option.
Thanks for the insight. I'm guessing you have the "i" versions of them? From what I've read, some say they sound practically the same as the "e" versions (at least for some models). How close is the frequency response of the SR325 to the SR60? I've seen the SR325 praised for it's level of detail. Do you own anything else with a similar amount of detail? I'm guessing it will sit somewhere between the HD600 and HD800s.

May 20, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the insight. I'm guessing you have the "i" versions of them? From what I've read, some say they sound practically the same as the "e" versions (at least for some models). How close is the frequency response of the SR325 to the SR60? I've seen the SR325 praised for it's level of detail. Do you own anything else with a similar amount of detail? I'm guessing it will sit somewhere between the HD600 and HD800s.

I actually have the original model (so neither i nor e)! Whatever differences exist between the three iterations are (so I've heard) not terribly substantial. As for the frequency response, I would say that the SR325s are somewhat brighter than the SR60s with more sparkle in the high-end and more presence in the upper mid-range. Looking at the frequency graphs from Innerfidelity seems to corroborate my personal impression.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR325.pdf

The only meaningful comparison with regards to detail would be a pair of HD650s that I've heard a few times (though not at any length so take this all with a grain of salt). The level of detail is certainly comparable to my ear, although the HD650s were a touch clearer and more precise. If I were to make a direct comparison between the two with regards to detail, I would have to give it to the Sennhesiers. That being said, the HD650s are a good deal more expensive and substantially much more difficult to power. Further, I would say that the Grado sound signature is much more enjoyable that the extremely flat reference signature of the Sennhesier HD series.

May 21, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 11
I have sr60e’s, sr225i’s, and HF3’s (which I am currently selling) and the biggest difference between models as you move up the ladder is clarity and balance of sound. Word of warning about the 60’s they need a significant amount of break in time, nearly sent my back as the highs were piercing until around 50 hours of play. I also modded both the 60 and 225 with dynamat on the back of the driver and tape around the L pads to add a little more bass. The HF3’s are simply fantastic as is and would be great paired with a tube amp that provides a little warmth to their sound, only reason mine are on the market is they don’t pair as well with my Schiit dac/amp as the modded 225 (Schiit HF3 combo with grunge/alternative rock is a little bright).

May 21, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 11
I actually have the original model (so neither i nor e)! Whatever differences exist between the three iterations are (so I've heard) not terribly substantial. As for the frequency response, I would say that the SR325s are somewhat brighter than the SR60s with more sparkle in the high-end and more presence in the upper mid-range. Looking at the frequency graphs from Innerfidelity seems to corroborate my personal impression.

The only meaningful comparison with regards to detail would be a pair of HD650s that I've heard a few times (though not at any length so take this all with a grain of salt). The level of detail is certainly comparable to my ear, although the HD650s were a touch clearer and more precise. If I were to make a direct comparison between the two with regards to detail, I would have to give it to the Sennhesiers. That being said, the HD650s are a good deal more expensive and substantially much more difficult to power. Further, I would say that the Grado sound signature is much more enjoyable that the extremely flat reference signature of the Sennhesier HD series.

Hmm... I own the HD6XX ($200 equivalent of HD650). I'm assuming you mean they are comparable in mid-range detail. From what I've read, any of the Grado's should have the 650 beat in treble detail (and extension). But regardless, I would really like a Grado that can do at least better than a 650. I will try researching models outside the prestige series.

May 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 11
I have sr60e’s, sr225i’s, and HF3’s (which I am currently selling) and the biggest difference between models as you move up the ladder is clarity and balance of sound. Word of warning about the 60’s they need a significant amount of break in time, nearly sent my back as the highs were piercing until around 50 hours of play. I also modded both the 60 and 225 with dynamat on the back of the driver and tape around the L pads to add a little more bass. The HF3’s are simply fantastic as is and would be great paired with a tube amp that provides a little warmth to their sound, only reason mine are on the market is they don’t pair as well with my Schiit dac/amp as the modded 225 (Schiit HF3 combo with grunge/alternative rock is a little bright).

I will look into the HF3 some more. I'm guessing your not selling the HF3 on this forum? Once you get 15 posts, you should get access to the selling threads. Going forward I'm going to buy and sell stuff there to avoid Ebay fees and sales tax lol

May 21, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, still haven’t posted enough to gain access to the selling forum so right they’re only for sale on Facebook (hate paying the EBay fees as well). The HF3’s are amazing just seem a little to detailed when paired with the Schiit I have for home use, sound is amazing with the Fiio A3 I use when on the go I just don’t usually take them anywhere. I also heard great things about the RS2’s when paired with a tube amp, plus the wood cups on both of them looks awesome.

May 21, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, still haven’t posted enough to gain access to the selling forum so right they’re only for sale on Facebook (hate paying the EBay fees as well). The HF3’s are amazing just seem a little to detailed when paired with the Schiit I have for home use, sound is amazing with the Fiio A3 I use when on the go I just don’t usually take them anywhere. I also heard great things about the RS2’s when paired with a tube amp, plus the wood cups on both of them looks awesome.
I'm thinking I'll go with the RS2e. Just need to find a good deal. The one issue is I can't find a single modern review of them from a review source I trust lol. The headphone landscape has drastically changed since they first came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back