Grado RS80 or Sennheiser HD590
Aug 1, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 25
With EQ these have as much bass as you'd want to. I tried an insane 10 dB bass boost at <= 110 Hz (or rather I pushed back the ranges above), and they'll handle bass as loud as one could possibly want.
basshead.gif
Sounds a bit like music played from under a wool blanket... Yay, with everything back to normal it sounds kinda tinny now
blink.gif
...ah, it's slowly getting better again.
EDIT: Don't do that with brand new drivers, btw. Shouldn't be a problem after a few hours of break-in though.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #17 of 25
I have found that when switching cans, you adapt to the sound. For example, I used to own a pair of 212's, and I liked the bass, but didnt like the rest of the sound. I picked up a pair of SR80's, and at first I obviously didn't like the lack of bass. I persisted to only wear my Grados, and I found that I adapted to the sound. Now I find that they have just the right amount of bass.

But moving on up to my SR325i's is a whole nother ballgame
basshead.gif
rs1smile.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 25
I have the MS1's and used to own the HD 590. If the MS1 are like Grado's then the HD 590 are nowhere near Grado-like. I don't know where these rumours start, but the MS1's are all mids while the HD 590 are no mids. They are total opposites. The HD 590 definitely have heaps more bass but they don't have the mids for vocals.

I always felt that vocals sounded distant on the 590's and prefer the HD 555/595 because the HD 555/595 sound more balanced, but lose out a bit in bass volume compared to the HD 590.

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 25
hey.

I just got the hd590s......didnt have an opportunity to try the grado's or ms-1s (no shops had the in at the moment). Anyway, i am pretty happy.....will say a little more about them later.

Does anyone know what sort of time i should burn them in for (if its neccessary at all)

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #22 of 25
Yes, the 590 takes a while to burn in. Let it play a few days and just use it normally after that.

Aug 6, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #23 of 25
I still say the HD-590's are brighter than the SR-80's. I specifically was not enjoying them because of this. Though at the same time the 590's were more detailed. I agree. I would say the 590's have good bass, and lots (too much) highs. The SR-80's have much better midbass.

Aug 6, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I still say the HD-590's are brighter than the SR-80's. I specifically was not enjoying them because of this. Though at the same time the 590's were more detailed. I agree. I would say the 590's have good bass, and lots (too much) highs. The SR-80's have much better midbass.

Sounds like the headphone output used has a medium output impedance at least. That would affect the 32 ohm SR-80 much stronger than the 120 ohm HD590, giving it a warmer sound with a considerable bass hump. I'm already EQing that out for my HD590.

Aug 6, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by johntitan
hey.

I just got the hd590s......didnt have an opportunity to try the grado's or ms-1s (no shops had the in at the moment). Anyway, i am pretty happy.....will say a little more about them later.

Does anyone know what sort of time i should burn them in for (if its neccessary at all)

NoooOOoooo .. How could you go for the 590 without even giving the MS1/SR80 a try?!?!?!...
biggrin.gif

Enjoy your new can
smily_headphones1.gif
for now, but if you ever start appreciating Rock, then sell the Senns and buy the MS1
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey.. just my opinion which I think is a very valid one; particularly since I am a heavy Rock/Metal fan and am curently hunting for an HD580/HD600 used cheap
biggrin.gif

...About the burn in time, the USUAL - 60 hours (God alone knows how this magic number came to BE)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back