Grado RS80 or RS125 for Portable Rig?
Feb 24, 2009 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

puri

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have invested a lot of time (6 months) choosing my portable rig. I have purchased my source and amp now. These are the best portable components I could find (and afford)

Source
Sony DNE-920 MP3/ATRAC CD Walkman Portable Compact Disc Player

Amp
Graham Slee Voyager Portable Headphone Amplifier

I am extremely pleased with what I have so far.

But to complete my setup I have spent many sleepless nights while being torn between Grado SR80s and Grado SR125. I do not have experience in using either of these so my decision is completely paper based.

At first it seemed like an obvious choice to go for the more expensive and comfortable SR125s but as I carry on reading I find that SR80s are likely the right tool for the job...

Here is the confusion:

I often listen to 50% MP3s on CDRs and 50% quality store bought audio CDs in my CD Walkman. I’m not always going to be extremely attentive to the nuances/accuracy/soundstage while travelling.

Grado SR80 – easier to drive by portable CD player, warmer sounding, but less comfortable. Fits directly into 1/8 inch adapter.

Grado SR125 – built for home equipment, harder to drive, possibly never appreciate the full extent of these in my portable rig but maybe the amp might change this? Known to be the brightest sounding from the Grado range so will bring out the worst in MP3s/compressed audio – all Grado ranges will do this but SR125s even more so.

The price difference is only £36 and I imagine myself after purchasing the
S80s kicking myself for what I could have had when reading all that’s superior in the SR125s. Then I think about not having enough juice to drive the SR125s that’ll leave me standing somewhere middle of the road...

Going round in circles I need some direction. Am I hitting the ceiling with SR80s and maxing out my portable rig or is there still room for improvement?
And finally is it worth waiting for the SR80i / SR125i for this type of rig?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 17
Apparently for the extra money that you pay for the Sr125 isnt really worth it. I asked the same question and they [head-fi] told me that its either go for the SR80 or make the jump to the SR225.

The SR80 is a SOLID headphone, and I am using it now. And if I recall the SR80 and the SR125 both use the bowl pads, so comfort it the same.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 17
I'd probably go with the SR80's for the simple fact that they are terminated with a 3.5mm plug. Much more conducive to portable listening than using the 125's with an adapter. I don't think you will have trouble driving either, and in my experience the 125's only outperform the 80s when coupled with a particularly resolving source and quality amp. I really like my 125s, but they can be fatiguing, are VERY unforgiving of source, and cost more money, so when you drop your portable rig or lose them you aren't out as much. I'm not a big fan of going expensive with portable... no one really uses a portable rig for quality extensive listening and it's just not worth the extra dough. Of course my definition of portable listening might be different than yours... DIYMod --> Mini3 --> Koss stock KSC75 has been my goto portable rig for over a year now, and for everything but long trips where I can lay back and listen at my pleasure the KSC75s are great. For those long trips I grab my 125s and blank out while others are driving and getting annoyed that my headphones sound so loud...

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 17
I was trying to make a similar decision a little while back, so I auditioned the Grado line up to the SR225 in a store. I didn't think there was enough of an upgrade between the SR80 and SR125 to justify the price difference, so my decision came down to either the SR80 or SR225. I liked the SR80 a lot for the price, but I ended up getting the SR225 because I thought the bass was much improved. In fact, to my ears, the SR225 were the first ones in the Grado lineup that I would consider a significant upgrade. If you don't have an opportunity to listen for yourself, then I would recommend either going with the SR80's or moving up to the SR225.

All the Grado prestige series cans are 32 ohm, and they can be driven adequately from a portable source - even without the amp if necessary. (Although you would need an adapter for the SR 125's and up)

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying to make a similar decision a little while back, so I auditioned the Grado line up to the SR225 in a store. I didn't think there was enough of an upgrade between the SR80 and SR125 to justify the price difference, so my decision came down to either the SR80 or SR225. I liked the SR80 a lot for the price, but I ended up getting the SR225 because I thought the bass was much improved. In fact, to my ears, the SR225 were the first ones in the Grado lineup that I would consider a significant upgrade. If you don't have an opportunity to listen for yourself, then I would recommend either going with the SR80's or moving up to the SR225.

All the Grado prestige series cans are 32 ohm, and they can be driven adequately from a portable source - even without the amp if necessary. (Although you would need an adapter for the SR 125's and up)

Indeed, IMO, the SR225 is the real starting point of the Grado world.

But the drawback is that the SR225 uses the larger 1/4 plug, so lugging around an adapter for that will get REALLY tiresome.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Also...you are aware that the Grados are completely open? I only use mine at home where it is quiet (and I don't have to worry about disturbing others nearby). If you are using them while traveling, all outside noises will leak in, and your music will leak out. Is there a reason you don't want closed cans or IEM's for traveling?

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 17
I tend to agree with everyone else. SR125s kind of sit in a weird zone between the high value of the SR60 or SR80, and the really good SR225. Save money and go for value, or spend somewhat more and get a real nice phone.

The great thing about Grados is that they all share a similar sound signature, just with improvements as you move up the line. And all are easy to drive from an iPod.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-80s are the best value in the Grado line in my opinion. They sound nearly as good as the RS-1!

Erm not quite. I found the SR-80 not do each thing that well. Bass was muddy and a bit boomy, treble too harsh. Midrange lacking. My RS-1's didn't cost much more than SR-80's so it was a no-brainer.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 17
I know people believe the SR125's to be in Grado Limbo, but according to Gradolabs, the SR125>80's by the sheer fact that it uses a better driver/cable than the SR80.

The SR 80 is: SR60 + minor cable tweak + Bowls
SR 125 is: New Drivers + Cable
Sr 225 is: SAME DRIVERS as sr 125 but selectively chosen (like Grado's cartridges)

So really, an SR225 is a selective group of SR 125's. So for anyone who's taken the SAT's all SR 125's are SR 125's but only some SR125's are SR225's.

So in other words you move up a notch by entering the SR125 world and then the SR225's are just a bit of a step past it... TECHNICALLY (sonically well you'll hear a good range of remarks, primarily because for ever 1 SR125 out there there are 10 if not more 225's).

Read the site yourself, but then again this was before the grado overhaul on their product line.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 17
The difference between is the SR125 and SR225 is more than just the closer matched drivers. The SR225 also have a rear metal screen instead of the plastic screen on the SR125, which increases air flow by 50%. Sounds like a subtle change, but I definitely noticed a difference. If you've ever tried putting your hands over the back of your cans to restrict the airflow, you can see how this could make a difference.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 17
You guys rock!

I have made my decision and going for the SR80s!

I want to thank all of these people for their fantastic comments and input for helping me decide
ThePandemonium, UglyJoe, bakercj93, TheMarchingMule, Dobber, Brighten, iriverdude, pdupiano.

I'm learning a lot hanging around these forums and reading stuff posted by you guys. There is a huge sense of pride coupled with expertise that I like.

Thanks again!
Woo Hoo!

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..The SR225 also have a rear metal screen instead of the plastic screen on the SR125, which increases air flow by 50%..

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but how about removing the rear screen entirely?
What does that do to the sound?

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erm not quite. I found the SR-80 not do each thing that well. Bass was muddy and a bit boomy, treble too harsh. Midrange lacking. My RS-1's didn't cost much more than SR-80's so it was a no-brainer.

I wasn't able to listen to them for long so I couldn't pick out the details but they sounded fantastic after listening to some RS-1s for the last three months.

And cost would be subjective. It might not be much more to you, but to the OP it could be the difference maker. Especially to someone who is just dipping his feet into the headphone market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back