Grado RS-2
Jul 20, 2007 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
I am the lucky owner of a pair of grados, my problem is that it is terminated in a big jack, which really annoys me, because I normally use the phones with my ipod and Ibasso T2, and the plug + adapter is almost bigger than my amp.

Also the longer plug exerts more force on my headphone jack, it has more leverage..

I know I just can cut the cable and solder a new plug in, but how do I connect the wires to the new plug ???

Has some nice Headfier got a small guide to this project ??

I can use a soldering iron, but as mentioned before I am a little bit affraid, of connecting the cable wrong..

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 17
Grado does sell a dongle adaptor for this purpose, so that the stress on the small jack is minimal.

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatmizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its real easy with a meter. Cut off the plug with a bit of wire strip the wires. Ohm out the jack and short wires see what color goes to which jack.

I was hoping that somebody had some photos of how to do it, I presume that Grado use the same wiring each time, so that it was possible to see which wire goes where..

But if that's not the case I will messeure my way out of it..

Thanks..

Also advice on which plug i schould use will be appreciated..

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 17
Are you deadset on DIY? There are plenty of folks around here who do these types of things all the time. Also realize, in doing this, you are decreasing the value of your phones in a big way. Reselling may become quite difficult. The Grado adapter is very nice and only puts on an extra few inches while limiting the stress completely. There will be little to no detectable loss in sound quality.

If you are going the DIY route...what about neutrik?

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you deadset on DIY? There are plenty of folks around here who do these types of things all the time. Also realize, in doing this, you are decreasing the value of your phones in a big way. Reselling may become quite difficult. The Grado adapter is very nice and only puts on an extra few inches while limiting the stress completely. There will be little to no detectable loss in sound quality.

X2, very well said.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 17
Neutrik plugs are very slim and can cause problems such as slipping out of jacks unintentionally. I just reterminated my friend's pair of 325i's with a Switchcraft mini and it was a breeze (partly because Switchcraft plugs are easier to solder up
icon10.gif
). There are four wires inside the cable: two blue (ground), one red (right), and one white (left). I'd also recommend a Switchcraft plug since the Grado cable won't fit inside the Neutrik barrel without dremelling. And make sure you slide the barrel and any neccessary heatshrink onto the cable before clamping and soldering the plug.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are four wires inside the cable: two blue (ground), one red (right), and one white (left).

You sure about that? On all of mine (SR80, HF1, RS1) in the earcups white is right, and red is left...

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the advice I'll think about it some more, at the time being the only reason I could have to sell them is the big plug, but I see what you and others mean..

Thanks to all

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice I'll think about it some more, at the time being the only reason I could have to sell them is the big plug, but I see what you and others mean..

Thanks to all

If you get the Grado adapter which for example TTVJ sells for $14.95 plus S&H and do not like it you can always sell it for pretty much what you bought it for.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure about that? On all of mine (SR80, HF1, RS1) in the earcups white is right, and red is left...

****! Grado wires up all their headphones with opposite color coding? Wow.

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 17
actually, when i put wire screen in my SR60s, I had taken the cups off of the headband without noting which came from which. so I checked it with the multimeter, and remembered it with the rhyme (well, sorta rhyme) that Rav noted above (white is right and red is left).

[size=xx-small]/The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pessel. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back