Grado RS-2 these are awesome but the bowl pads...
Jan 4, 2008 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

tommarra

100+ Head-Fier
...they hurt my ears like crazy. In just 30 minutes, they become painful
mad.gif

Its mostly due to my ears being forced against the abrasive grill.

I've been searching a lot on Head-fi for alternate pads.

Flats from TTVJ look good but they are 35 dollars..and after spending 500 on these RS2, I cant afford them.
eek.gif

There are also suggestions to use VWAP pads, any idea how I can buy them.

I like the idea of modifying 414 to create VWAP pads, but yellow color..urghh...

Are there any pads like those 414 that I can use to make modded pads?
confused.gif

P.S. Here is an after thought...I had Shure 530, but man did they suck or what...no highs and over pronounced mid bass. But with these Grados, everything is so...umm clear..so musical. I am so happy I bought these. Fine there is no sound isolation and I can hear the soft hum of the refrigerator, but I have found I prefer being connected to the external world than being shut out.

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 30
You can grab a pair of sennheiser hd414 pads on ebay for about $8. Then, you cut a hold in the middle of them the size of a quarter or larger. They are yellow, but can be dyed black. The 414's are not amazingly comfortable either. They are just slightly more comfortable. After more use, they will be more tolerable. You can also wash them with dish soap and let them soak in water overnight. This helped a little bit for me.

Good Luck!

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 30
Thanks, let me try that.

But are there any other pads like hd414 that are not yellow.

By the way how does one dye the earpads? Is there some specific dye?

Are the TTVJs much more comfortable than hd414s?

I mean if its a one time investment then are the flat pads worth 35 dollars?

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 30
I say...make love not pain... :wink:

Well I have soaked my stock bowls in diskwasher and left them to dry out...will let you know if it helps.

BTW do Grados need burn in time? They sound pretty awesome out of the box...but I am leaving them plugged to my receiver anyhow. Am I getting to get a different tonal characteristic (however slight) in say 100 hours of use?

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 30
A lot of people use rit dye to dye the pads a different color. Although the hd414 pads are more comfortable, you will probably notice that they are a tad bit less clear.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 30
I had this same problem when using bowl pads on my MS-1. My solution was to put some PX-100 pads on the earcups, under the bowls. That way there's at least a little foam between your ear and the grill. The downside is that the foam will muffle the sound, giving you a slightly darker and less-detailed sound. Of course, you could then quarter-mod the small pads, just leaving enough foam to give your ear something to sit on (haven't tried this yet). Anyway, I imagine a small foam pad from Radio Shack would do the trick, or even a thin circular foam cutout.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommarra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say...make love not pain... :wink:

Well I have soaked my stock bowls in diskwasher and left them to dry out...will let you know if it helps.

BTW do Grados need burn in time? They sound pretty awesome out of the box...but I am leaving them plugged to my receiver anyhow. Am I getting to get a different tonal characteristic (however slight) in say 100 hours of use?

im curious to how the pads will turn out.. if softer, ill try it tonight as well!

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 30
the 414 pads can be purchased very cheaply directly from Senn's site.

Since they're so easily procured, you might want to give the cheap RadioShack (33-379) pads a shot. I know its not an RS2, and the comfies are not bowls, but I definitely like the 33-379 pads better than comfies on my SR60's.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 30
I don't know why people just don't bend the headband out a bit... I had the same problem with my SR-80s when I first got them, my ears would hurt like mad after about 40 minutes. About a week later I decided to try bending the headband, and wow, what a difference. I didn't even bend them that much (It isn't super obvious just looking at them, anyway), and now I can wear them easily for extended periods (4+ hours!!). Super comfy and they don't make your ears sore.

And if you don't like it wider for some reason, you can always bend it back... =P

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zigosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why people just don't bend the headband out a bit... I had the same problem with my SR-80s when I first got them, my ears would hurt like mad after about 40 minutes. About a week later I decided to try bending the headband, and wow, what a difference. I didn't even bend them that much (It isn't super obvious just looking at them, anyway), and now I can wear them easily for extended periods (4+ hours!!). Super comfy and they don't make your ears sore.

And if you don't like it wider for some reason, you can always bend it back... =P

excellent advice.. now they are bearly touching my ears and they feel great! the headband just needs some extra padding.. but a sock works

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im curious to how the pads will turn out.. if softer, ill try it tonight as well!

Well don't expect a huge improvement as it only helps minimally. Really besides bending the headband and vwap pads there aren't too many options that will not change the signature of the can. This is why many people say love is pain and the reason I currently use bowls..
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommarra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, let me try that.

But are there any other pads like hd414 that are not yellow.

By the way how does one dye the earpads? Is there some specific dye?

Are the TTVJs much more comfortable than hd414s?

I mean if its a one time investment then are the flat pads worth 35 dollars?

jeeez man, no update?

well i did it anyway.. and there is a big difference in comfort from stock, to dish soup pad trick + headband bend.. now they feel awesome, or should i say now they dont feel like anything!

i didnt know how much pads affect the sound of headphones! i wore the rs2 without any pads until i left them to dry, and they did not sound so good.... now i have the pads on, and everything is more clearer and theres bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back