Grado RS-1's have arrived
Mar 21, 2006 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bobbyk

100+ Head-Fier
My RS-1's have arrived today.

I plugged them into my original (Flinstone) Earmax amp/ Naim CD2 setup and my heart sank like a lead weight.
The sound was stuck in a tiny space in the centre of my head. There's no sound stage to speak of at all.
Is this due to the compatibility issue of the original Earmax with low impedence headphones? I was hoping I might get at least a reasonable sound out of it, but no it sucks. I can't even begin to describe how bad it is.
Plugging them into my Zen Sleek 20gb mp3 player and a different world starts to emerge. Detail and plenty of it. A decent sound stage also emerges.
It's obviously not the phones at fault.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Thats kind of how they are when they are new. They do change with burn-in or regular use. Mids tame down and bass warms up and is less one-note-ish. This helps to pull the image out of your head just a little.

But yeah, they are Grados, so theres no getting around that. I dont think anyone really buys Grados for soundstage depth.

**edit**
not familiar with that amp though... kind of regret not demoing it at the SF meet.

Garrett

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 7
i hated my hf-1s orignally, left them going for 3 days (went on holidays) came back, and bam they were amazing.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 7
PICS!!!

Any errors in the manufacturing?

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 7
BobbyK, I hate to say we told you so, but...We Told You So!

Grados need current. The non-Pro Earmax may not do it for you.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 7
RS1 + EarMax AE was amazing little setup ! Well, Grados cans are not the best for soundstage, but the RS1 has very pleasure musicialiti and life-like sound.

Best!
Nicola

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
RS1 + EarMax AE was amazing little setup ! Well, Grados cans are not the best for soundstage, but the RS1 has very pleasure musicialiti and life-like sound.

Best!
Nicola

I tried the Earmax Pro and I feel the same. So, The EMP, EMP-AE, and that silver anniversary one all have enough current. The original Earmax? Mebbe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back