Grado RS-1 vs Sennheiser HD-600
Jun 25, 2005 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mfueger

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a long time since I listened to both headphones at the same time, and if you would have asked me just a few days ago, the new addition to my stack, the RS-1, took the lead and primary time on my head. I primarily listen to my iPod while being away from my home system.

Tonight I got some time to "unfold" and hook things up to the home system (Sony SACD).

The Grado had leaped forward so much while listening to the portable setup with the iPod that I hardly even listened to the Sennheisers much anymore. Once you get comfortable and things sound perfect, there is no reason to "expriment" since things are NIRVANA.

Now backing off a little and listening inside the house to the stationary SACD with both headphones, the gap between them has once again closed dramatically.

The HD-600 is able to calmly unfold and present the music in a way I remember from days past, where they were the best I have ever heard. What's up with that? My ears are telling me that the Senns are happy with a higher front end while the Grado's are superb when listening to a lower quality front end.

To sum it up, there are clearly advantages with both headphones depending on the source and material you're listening to. Don't ever believe one is going to be supreme for all applications.

I feel blessed having both at hand to be able to experience the supreme performance they offer.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 7
blink.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Are you using bowls or flat with the Rs-1's dude?

If you are using bowls and a ipod just select the bass boost on EQ for some more fun.

You could try reversing the bowls to see it the sound is to your taste's although the comfort level might decrease.

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 7
The above observations were made prior to Larry turning the Senns into a woody and the cable upgrade. The Grado RS-1's are stock with the original pads. These days I am still giving the cables some time before I will go back to the same test. As is, I am enjoying all of my headphones tremendously (with a bonus that they look awsome too after the headphile.com "touch" - thanks Larry!)
rs1smile.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Well I agree with your observations in some ways. The rs-1s were always happiest (to my ears) out of a hitachi pcdp I had, the synergy was great. Out of the ra-1 and rotel rcd-991ae they sounded not quite bright enough with reversed bowls, and a little more muddy. My sennheiser hd-595s are easy to drive but require a more refined and detailed source to shine, so I can see where you're coming from.
I should say that if I was on a desert island with an ipod the only headphones I'd want would be the rs-1's!

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I agree the RS-1 is the best-sounding straight out of an iPod. The ATH-AD2000 is also not bad.

As I learn and experience more about headphone listening, I'm inclined to think that multiple headphones do offer a more varied and rewarding listening experience.

In addition to the AD2000, DT880 and RS-1, I wouldn't mind owning an AKG K1000, K501, Senn HD600, HD650, Grado PS-1 and Sony SA5000.

However, the question then becomes would one rather own all the above headphones or the Orpheus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back