Grado RS-1 vs 325i - should I?
May 11, 2007 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Barry

100+ Head-Fier
I know that that RS-1 is better than the 325is. But it is also $400 more. Sigh. I can stretch the budget and go for the RS-1s, but still $400. I know that this is a dangerous question - after all this is a headphone afficionato forum and it is my money not yours -- still, I have to ask - worth it to stretch the budget? I would be listening mostly to my Macbook (bad sound, I think) through an amp - probably an RA-1 or eventually an M^3. Alternative portable source would be an ipod/x5, etc through the minibox E. This would be the second headphone - first is K701s, good, but there is something about Grados.....

So, what do you guys think? What if it were your ears and your money?

Thanks

May 11, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 31
If it were my money, I wouldn't listen to any of the below comments and then try to find a place that will let me demo both models and make the decision for myself. You're getting into stupid money territory.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 31
Have you considered buying second hand?

Also, have you tried the 325s on for size? The added weight is not for everyone.

If it were my ears ... well, i just bought a used RS-1, so hopefully that answers that question
rs1smile.gif

May 11, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 31
There's a reason why the RS2 is priced more than the SR325i and the RS1 is more than the RS2. You have to hear both of them for yourself to determine if it's worth the price difference. To my ears, they're different phones (no cost related). They both have their own unique characters.

IMHO, the SR325i is the best value in Grado porfolio.

May 11, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 31
Hey Barry, I might be a little biased here as I just purchased a pair of 1's off the forums here but I think the sound difference between the 325s and the RS1s would be enough to make the change. You obviously like the sound of the 1's and I suspect that you will always have the yern for them
wink.gif
. Oh yeah.. sorry 'bout your wallet.
E.

May 12, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that that RS-1 is better than the 325is. But it is also $400 more. Sigh.

Right. The big question for me is: Are the RS-1's really $400 better? I want them,too, but I'm afraid the improvement isn't going to be worth $400.

May 12, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 31
This is my take on it. I'm sure you'll notice a difference between the 325i and the RS-1, but not as big as if you ad an amp. If you already have the K701, you'll need an amp with some muscles. I think the M^3 would be better than the RA-1 and they are close to the same price.
So if I were in your shoes (actually I was), I would get the 325i and a good sounding amp. Then mod the Grado's to your liking.

May 12, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 31
MacBook through an amp, eh. Not really doing much, unless you're using a DAC + amp. I generally tend to think that the headphones matter, but you might not be able to milk the RS-1s or even the 325s unless the source > DAC > amp combination is worth it. Something to think about down the line.

May 12, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MacBook through an amp, eh. Not really doing much, unless you're using a DAC + amp. I generally tend to think that the headphones matter, but you might not be able to milk the RS-1s or even the 325s unless the source > DAC > amp combination is worth it. Something to think about down the line.

Right. I had the RS-1's myself a year and a half ago but the rest of my system wasn't up to it. M^3 amp out of a soundcard. I couldn't understand why the RS-1's sounded shrill and unlistenable. Source and amp have to be up to it.

May 27, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Peters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is a headphone you'll keep for the rest of your life, go with the RS-1's. In the decision, go for a pair of used RS-1's.

i agree. just get the top of the line so it lasts a lifetime. honestly, your macbook as DAC will let the setup down, but u can always save up for a gd external dac n fully complete the setup. as opposed to splitting up the budget for less impressive items, then upgrading again, u save loads in the long run.

May 28, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 31
The RS-1's scale well with mega buck systems- they just better and better.

I've had 4 pair and will probably get another pair or go for the Alsandro Pro.

You should be able to get a new pair of RS-1's for $625 from the forum sponsors- 10% off list. And a used pair should be had for $500-$550 if you watch the For Sale Forum. Buying used lets you see the quality of production prior to purchase. Plus Todd the Vinyl Junkie has the 30 day free trail so what do you have to lose?

"You're getting into stupid money territory."

That's funny. Unless you drop them or otherwise damage them they'll be worth $500-$550 or more any day of the week. Even more if you sell them on Ebay. With this in mind your monetary risk is minimal when buying new and next to nothing buying used.

Mitch

May 28, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 31
Guys. Thanks for the perspectives. I wrestled a bit, listened again to the 325is at my local store - decided that I didn't like them after all and ended up buying the Rs-1s. They are burning in even as I type.

At second listening, I actually thought that the 225s were closer to the RS-1s than was the 325i. If I did not have the RS-1s to compare, I probably would have been happy enough with the 225s - but then again, I did have the RS-1s to compare so......

I hear you all about the source. I do need a source/amp that makes these sing. My iaudio 5Xl and karma both outshine the macbook (you knew that but I did not think to check) so the right amp is next. I am hoping that the Max Millett will do the job. It will be nice to solder again.

Thanks again

Barry

May 28, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right. The big question for me is: Are the RS-1's really $400 better? I want them,too, but I'm afraid the improvement isn't going to be worth $400.

i was actually in your exact position about a month ago. well, actually i was considering between the RS2 and the 325i. I have had sr60s for around 5 years now and was considering an upgrade. i could technically afford the rs1 or rs2, but it'd would've definitely dented my savings and i wanted to see, given that money is a consideration, whether or not the price jump would be subjectively worth it. I demoed all three cans at the meet in april and came away pretty convinced that the 325i was the best value for my money. Of course i have upgraditis, and have the rs2 in the corner of my eye and am always wondering, but ultimately the 325i is a great headphone and unless you can really swing it, i wouldn't say the differences are anything you'll miss. the $200-400, though, might very well be.

May 28, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 31
As talking about RS1 .... Well, I'm planning to save money to buy it as well but do you guys know where can I order it for the best price, since I did some search for it, and it's always 695$.
I looked at Todd the Vinyl Junkie and they have 2 options: Cardas Cable (+$175.00), Equinox Cable (+$244.00). Does this cable worth that amount of money, because if upgrade cable like that, the amount of money might be simillar with the GS-1000 already. Will the sound become much much better with one of these cable ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back