Grado RS-1 unamped
Mar 29, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-1 isn't too low-sensitivity. It's 98 dB, like a pair of KSC75, for example.

Anyhow it is the same with my old SR80, and they needed volume cranking just like 250ohm DT880/-03.

As I said, it depends on the DAP, but I suggest you go a hifi-store and try your RS1s with an amp. I am pretty sure you will hear the difference. Even my non-hifi electronics hater GF heard the difference between Zen Micro - SR80 and ZM - SOHA - SR80.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #17 of 25
using the rs-1 unamped is like driving a sports car with 87 octane fuel... it still works, and it's still a sports car, but it suffers from the true power that it is capable of, and may also cause a breakdown and need better fuel (amps) later on!

biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

It's not because of the the portability: I would use the RS-1 at home. The reason is I can't really add a 300$ amp to the eventual 500$ for the RS-1.
There's another question: did anyone make a comparison between the RS-1 (or the SR-225) and something like the Stax SR-001? These are realatively cheap and come with their own amp, so I could even go with them, if they sound so good.

I'd be interested in a comparison with the Stax SR-001 and RS-1/225 too

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

It's not because of the the portability: I would use the RS-1 at home. The reason is I can't really add a 300$ amp to the eventual 500$ for the RS-1.
There's another question: did anyone make a comparison between the RS-1 (or the SR-225) and something like the Stax SR-001? These are realatively cheap and come with their own amp, so I could even go with them, if they sound so good.

the stax sr001mk2 is a remarkably good sounding rig and i think it's one of the best values in higher end phones (what amp/phone combo of anywhere near this quality can you get for that price?). for some user impressions see this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213825

also immtbiker has done a review, i think for an online magazine. it shouldn't be too hard to find with a little searching.

May 27, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Peters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not necessary for the RS-1's to be amped, but you will get more out of them if you do. It's like putting regular grade gasoline into a turbo'd car.

Sorry to sound snobby, but can I ask why you responded to a 2 month old thread that people have obviously lost interest in?

May 28, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to sound snobby, but can I ask why you responded to a 2 month old thread that people have obviously lost interest in?

Common noob thing... no big deal, Ive seen some 2-3 year old thread resurrections before.

Yes the RS1 sounds very good unamped through a warm sounding receiver.

May 28, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #23 of 25
Sure you can use RS-1's unamped, but boy- do they love current.
Edit- not just a noob thing anymore...D'OH!!!!!!!

May 28, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but you guys are always saying to use the search button. this is what happens and you guys are complaining.
wink.gif

May 28, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #25 of 25
Bah, no big deal here, plus there's nothing wrong with thread resurrection. If it's interresting to someone, it will be to others also. It's just information circulating around
rs1smile.gif
. The more info, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back