Grado RS-1 Right channel fault
Oct 15, 2007 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

San Raal

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a pair of RS-1 headphones that have developed a fault in the right channel. Normally I would simply send these back for repair - however this is the second time this fault has occured with this set of headphones.

As I live in the UK usually the repair time is 8-12 weeks so I dont want to get them fixed and find the same fault happen again - could this be another aspect of my system? Or just sheer coincidence?

The first time the right channel failed were when the headphones were less than a week old - at that time I was using a Benchmark DAC1 connected via my PC.

Since then Ive added a record player and a Mapletree Ear amplifier to my system that I use and the fault has re-appeared after 6 months of use.

I dont listen to particularly bassy music or have the volume cranked up loud so Im puzzled as to what could be causing this ??
blink.gif

Any insights or tests that anyone could suggest would be appreciated
rs1smile.gif

I do have access to proffesional audio oscillators/monitors from work if thats of any help in fault finding?

Thanks

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 12
that's really odd. makes me think that either you are somehow shorting out the channel or the headphone - maybe wiring - is defective.

did you purchase them new or used.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you plug them in with the amp already turned on?

Ive done that once or twice to reorganise the cabling.

I get the issue with the mapletree and the DAC1S headphone ports. The mapltree doesnt have a secondary gain only a main volume that is usually set to 9 oclock for comfortable listening.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 12
this isn't perhaps the famous Grattle (Grado rattle) caused by a hair stuck against the driver (behind the cloth screen) which causes a low rattle on bass notes?

this is easily solved by a slightly sucking (just search for Grattle and you'll get complete descriptions how to do this)

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the tip
rs1smile.gif
I blew gently into the driver and the rattling subsided but was still present and some frequencies.

Very strange in fact - At 50 Hz nothing

I adjusted my test oscillator to 60Hz nothing, 70 Nothing... then I hit 100Hz and they rattled, as I brought it back down through 60 and 70Hz it rattled at frequencies that it did not before
confused.gif

So I blew a little harder and I was able to get rid of the rattle - but every so often it can still come back.

Sounds like a case of the aforementioned grattles - is there a way to permanently remove the hairs from the chamber?

Long term I guess its time either for a hair net or go bald
icon10.gif
anything for that pure head-fi sound
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back