Grado RS-1 mahogany color
Jun 20, 2003 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

FrostyMMB

500+ Head-Fier
Browsing the gear for sale forum, I noticed the quick sale of Sean H's RS-1s, for an amazing price. Not only did the price catch my eye, but the color of the mahogany cups bowled me over. I know that the color varies, but I've been used to seeing a light orangish reddish color. This dark maroon/chocolate color really impresses me. I like it way more than the usual orange color. Does anyone else have a pair that looks like this? Is this what all the recently manufactured ones look like or is it just the luck of draw getting ones like this? I plan to buy a pair of RS-1s soon, and I've decided that I NEED this color.

grado1.jpg

Jun 20, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 22
When I got my Grado RS-1s, I just ended my search for better cans (yeah, I know: YEAH RIGHT)!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, these cans are awesome! Just check your budget and try to squeeze them into it. Sell off some gear if necessary to finance these babies! Oh, get the Sennheiser 19545 pads and buy some black dye to make them look right.

Jun 20, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 22
Orangey pair here...

Picture053.jpg*

(Purposely broken the img link until I can resize the picture
wink.gif
)

Jun 20, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 22
Something to consider beyond variable wood color is the camera which took the pic may not reproduce the color exactly due to white balance, exposure issues and such and image processing, monitor settings all can alter the color...in any case the wood color in the picture looks exactly the same as my RS-1...at least on my monitor...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 22
Budget is no problem. Unfortunately, I thought that by buying the SR325s I'd be able to keep from upgrading, but that didn't work out. I've still got to work on an amp upgrade, some ICs, and a power cable.

Does anyone really know the chances of getting a pair with this color? Are the newest ones like this? I'm in lust everytime I look at the picture. I feel that I'd be dissapointed to get the ordinary old orange color.
eek.gif

But hey Duncan, thanks for the pic. Squirt, do you have a camera so you can post a shot?

Jun 20, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Duncan can you please make that pic bigger? Thanks

hehe.... if you really want?
wink.gif

Sorry about that... i'll shrink it down at some point... but just haven't got any photo editing software installed right now...
rs1smile.gif

Wow... gotta love the RS1 smiley
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 22
Here a pic of my RS-1 i just took. It took a lot of processing to get the color balance as close as possible to my RS-1 and is very close but not exactly the same but is a closer match than the top picture (at least on my monitor)...remember everything i mentioned previously applies...
600smile.gif

original.jpg

Jun 20, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 22
Also note that as the wood ages it's color will change (due to hand contact and exposure to the elements (light/sunlight). I have the Grado RA-1 and expect the wood to age/color change with time.

Jun 20, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 22
Mine do but my pair is an older version with the brown suede headband and the gold lettering.

Maybe they started using a new stain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back