Grado RS-1: initial impressions
Dec 1, 2005 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
I've read a lot of threads about the ups and downs of the Grado headphone series in general. They were personal to me. After all, my initial venture into Head-fi coincided with my purchase of SR60's. As a 70's culture lover, I dug the retro style and simplicity of the headphones themselves. And then, the sound--miles above my previous Sony v600's. I attended my first meet not too long after I joined Head-fi, and had the privilege of meeting Ray Samuels, as well as local celebrity Tuberoller. I'd already set my mind to comparing two sets of cans: the CD3000's and the HD650. Along the way, I happened to try out Ray's set of RS-1's. I distinctly remember loving their sound. So when I started feeling a "gap" of sorts with my Senn's, I decided to re-welcome an old friend--the Grado RS-1. So I ordered from Todd on Monday; they got here today.

First, the build. I believe that the color of each earcup is slightly different, but I doubt that matters acoustically. There is a bit of noticeable glue even visable with the bowls on. Eh, I'm an artist myself, I'd allow for that. Although I wasn't thrilled with seeing it, I have to say. The bowls themselves aren't nearly as uncomfortable as I thought they'd be. However, coming from the 650's it's easy to say that my Senns are more comfortable.

I've just started burning my headphones in. I realize they'll need almost a week to really get to their best. And I also realize that my SXH1 may not be the best synergetic amp for my new Grado's. That being said--WOW.
rs1smile.gif
I remember liking the RS-1 from the meet. But I forgot how clear they sound, how fast they are, and how "fuzzy" they can be. The closest thing I can describe it to is this: I can feel that I have headphones on, obviously. But besides that, it is as though I am IN the music. Call it soundstage, headstage, or any other label. I'm just loving what I'm hearing. And I believe that it can only get better as time goes on.

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 5
Yep, I think that's pretty much how I feel about the RS2s. I think I'm going to have to upgrade at some point, although not yet. I noticed about a week in my RS2s actually got brighter, then settled down a bit.

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

That being said--WOW. I remember liking the RS-1 from the meet. But I forgot how clear they sound, how fast they are, and how "fuzzy" they can be. The closest thing I can describe it to is this: I can feel that I have headphones on, obviously. But besides that, it is as though I am IN the music. Call it soundstage, headstage, or any other label. I'm just loving what I'm hearing. And I believe that it can only get better as time goes on.

Just how I felt when I got my MS-Pros, except they were fully burned in from two years of good use so they sounded fabulous from the moment I plugged them in.
biggrin.gif

Of course, when I modded them they got even better - I don't think I've heard any headphone that sounded livelier and more real than those.

I can't wait for my pair of RS-1s to arrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back