grado rs-1 initial impressions crap
Jul 7, 2006 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ssingh0

500+ Head-Fier
these sound like they were made at home, especially after going back and forth between the k701's. rs-1's sound hollow, and the bass doesn't sound good generally. not a refined sound at all.

I can see how some people feel they give a more immediate and intimate sound, because the soundstage is crap, artificial, and hollow, they are very detailed but they're not very musically coherent vs the k701, 650, etc.

(with mpx3 slam, and well burnt in)
(anyway this is more to note my initial impressions, so don't attack me for, what if a newb read your impressions, missed the holy grail, i'd be your fault)

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 34
How much you looking to sell them for??
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 34
Have you ever heard a Grado before? If not, then that was a really really stupid investment.

If you have heard one, then you could have determined that the Grado house sound is not for you. To each his own.

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 34
No worries, some people don't think the MPX3 mates well with Grados (do a search) - something about a thin sound and indistinct bass. You might have a similar experience. On the other hand, folks really seem to love Senns with that amp, so you might want to do a swap with someone for a HD650 and change.

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 34
The Grado sound is an acquired taste... Some like it others do not.

Initial impressions are wierd... I for one have grown to generally not trust them, even MY OWN initial impressions.

What kinds of music are you listening to them with? I prefer them for Rock, metal, blues and country, and thats about it. For jazz, new-age, classical and DVD movies I prefer my HD580 and A250.

Garrett

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 34
Yup; if we all had the same hearing, then there would only be one can manufacturer with one model!!

.....and then we'd have nothing to forum about!!

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 34
I, too, found the RS-1s to sound like crap after switching from the K701s.

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 34
Have you tried reversing the bowls?

Btw, I really liked the thread title
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

No worries, some people don't think the MPX3 mates well with Grados (do a search) - something about a thin sound and indistinct bass.

woops, forgot about tube rolling. I remember the 650's didn't sound too great with some. I need the right tube for the magic.

Quote:

Have you tried reversing the bowls?

uh huh. some stuff sounds like it's in a bad resonating chamber. first experience with wood phones. reversing made it worse

Quote:

Have you ever heard a Grado before? If not, then that was a really really stupid investment.

225, 325, 325i, ms2, ms-2i
evil_smiley.gif
liked most of those.

thanks for inputs. maybe I should have waited a little to post such nonsense!

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
maybe I should have waited a little to post such nonsense!

I would not call your opinion nonsense. Maybe a bit rushed though?

(not a RS-1 owner)

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

these sound like they were made at home, especially after going back and forth between the k701's. rs-1's sound hollow, and the bass doesn't sound good generally. not a refined sound at all.

I can see how some people feel they give a more immediate and intimate sound, because the soundstage is crap, artificial, and hollow, they are very detailed but they're not very musically coherent vs the k701, 650, etc.

(anyway this is more to note my initial impressions, so don't attack me for, what if a newb read your impressions, missed the holy grail, i'd be your fault)

Regarding your comment to the RS-1's artificial soundstage-- As Grado cans typically do not bear the largest soundstage VS other phones out there..and from my experience and feedback, the soundstage is somewhat hypothesized and not altogether accurate with the K701's...
interesting!

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Give it some time - rushed opinions don't always last. The RS-1 is about musicality and prat - the K701 is nuetral and airy - what exactly were you looking for the RS-1 to do? sound like your K701? You never read that the RS-1 has a smaller soundstage then most phones?

Jul 8, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

and the bass doesn't sound good generally. not a refined sound at all.

they're not very musically coherent vs the k701, 650, etc.

Nods, they couldn't hold a candle to the Senn 650 in my rig either. Now just need to decide if I give AKG a go with the 701 or hit up Zu for a Mobius
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

I don't see why you would be attacked if you found you didn't like the sound of the Rs-1's. You don't like them and you have every right to state that just as much people who do like them.

Although I can see Zanth and the Rs-1 sniper crew quickly entering this thread
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back