Grado RS-1 fan club
Sep 4, 2004 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

takeawayboy

100+ Head-Fier
I am interested in members who have the grado's RS-1 or other grado headphones to join in the thread. Do you think the grado headphones being too bright critiscm unjustified. If so tell me what grado headphones you got and why you like/hate them. What is it about grado headphones that if you own them they are the best ever. And if you don't own them then everyone else can't see what the fuss is about.

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Was your other thread shut down? I can't find/access it anymore.

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 10
Because that thread was off the deep end. Either a troll or drunk/doped up on the first thread.

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 10
I have the RS-1 and the HD650, and somehow I end up listening to the RS-1 ten times more often that to the HD650. IMO the RS-1 sounds just right for most of my listening.

Sep 4, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 10
hey there take away boy good to see another cymru member
smily_headphones1.gif
- although im living in AUS now
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway back on topic... I am the proud owner of a pair of Alessandro MS-1 cans i use for portable listenning and like the sound with no exceptions, now waiting to get hold of some MS-2's for home use.

I do not find the sound at all harsh or fatiguing but im not sure if this is a problem associated with alessandro cans anyway, i'm yet to listen to a pair of plain grado cans and would be interested in hearing the much loved SR-225 to see what the comments are based on.

see ya, have a good day
-jake

Sep 4, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I have the RS-1 and the HD650, and somehow I end up listening to the RS-1 ten times more often that to the HD650. IMO the RS-1 sounds just right for most of my listening.

I saw in your profile that you also have the R-10s. Do you listen to the RS-1's more than what you listen to the R-10s???
eek.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
I saw in your profile that you also have the R-10s. Do you listen to the RS-1's more than what you listen to the R-10s???
eek.gif

When I'm at my computer I listen to the K1000 or the RS-1. The room is really hot, and I don't want to expose to R-10 to too much sweat. Also, when I listen to the R10, I really concentrate on the music, rather than doing other things at the same time. So, each of my headphones has its purpose, although I find that I almost never listen to the HD650, and when I do, I set it aside fairly quickly. BTW, I use the R10 in another room, which is much cooler.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Grado RS1(Vintage B/Classic A overlap) vs Epsilon R1 (L-Cush) with Chord Hugo 2
I’m doing a comparison because the RS1 and R1 to my ears sound more close than I ever imagined.

I have had over the course of my history, six pairs of Grado RS1. Vintage A pair that was really warm and smooth. A Classic B pair that was really harsh and thin. A pair of R1 without button which I don't remember how it sounded and R1i that had tighter bass and less mid bass hump but thinner mids. And unfortunately two Paris of RS1e, one protruding and one non protruding. Now currently I have a pair of Vintage B/Classic A overlap that sounds astoundingly close to the Epsilon R1. So here are my comparisons.

Grado RS1 Buttoned Vintage B/Classic A
  • Slight upper bass emphasis that gives slight prat, but slight bloated quality. There is slightly less upper bass in R1.
  • The mids are warm but slightly smeared and focused. The mids and upper mids are pretty equally forward. I would also say the lower treble is close too.
  • There is less upper treble on RS1. It shimmers but there is less extension and amount.
  • Generally the RS1 sounds more closed, and more intimate and warm. There is slightly more engagement because of mid bass hump.
  • There is also the thing that Grado RS1 has that is very unique to it. It’s called the fuzz factor. There is a slightly dirty fuzz and twang factor that makes classic rock (led zeppelin, black sabbath) with distorted guitar more real.
Eps. R1
  • Bass is tighter and more extended in the low bass. There is less upper and mid bass hump. Less bass prat than RS1 but more controlled, tight and detailed.
  • The mids as I said are equally forward, warm and engaging. What I mean is the R1 does not have thinner mids compared to the RS1. Both are close in it’s thickness and warmth but the RS1 is more rounded.
  • The upper mids and lower treble are equally forward as RS1 but because of there is more upper treble, it has the feeling that it is slightly more forward and edgy. The R1 makes it more engaging especially with vocals being more clear, airy and detailed.
  • The treble is more extended and airy. They both shimmer but the R1 has more mid to upper treble extension and amount. In this way the R1 is much brighter but not sibilant to my ears.
  • The R1 sounds much more clearer and open, more layers, more detail. Soundstage is slightly wider and deeper. So while the RS1 does rock with distorted guitar better because of the fuzz factor, the R1 does vocals like Norah Jones and Diana Krall better. There is more open space and air for vocals and instruments.

The best comparison is if I took the same headphones and plugged one to a very warm tube amp (RS1) and the other to a bright solid state amp (R1). The differences are apparent but very subtle. Again, the RS1 sounds more lush, romantic and euphonic. Everything is slightly more rounded and warm. The R1 is more clear, open, detailed and slightly more bright in upper treble.

Considering the Grado RS1 is about 15-17 years older than the Epsilon R1, it’s saying a lot for the RS1. But at the same time, it’s saying a lot for the R1 to be so close to the RS1.
Now many tend to describe the Eps. R1 as neutral sounding, than I would say that these old pair of RS1 (at least the one I have) are in some way more neutral than the R1. It's quite interesting. As I said before, they are some RS1 that has been really bright, thin and harsh sounding but over the course of my ownership of six to seven pairs, there has been few that has been by Eps R1 standards, some very neutral sounding ones...that is, if you can call Grado RS1 or the Esp. R1 really neutral.

Which one do I choose. Sometimes I preferred the tube like warmth of the RS1(especially with brighter songs); sometimes I preferred the clarity and openness of the R1 (especially on slower paced less bright songs). When not paying attention, especially on songs that were not as bright, I would forget which one I had on.

Finally, depending on which Grado RS1 you have, your may agree or disagree. I have found in my experience the Grado RS1 to vary in sound, even within the same model and make period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back