Grado revalation!
Jun 20, 2005 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gradojunkie

Head-Fier
I have come to a conclusion, as a response to an earlier thread, I do agree. GRADOS MAKE ME TURN UP THE VOLUME!

I went to wisconsin last weekend, I used my grados on the way there and I realized, "listening to my grados makes me want to turn up the volume"

I don't know If any of you guys (and gals) noticed that, but I did.

Just a thought.

Jun 20, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradojunkie
I have come to a conclusion, as a response to an earlier thread, I do agree. GRADOS MAKE ME TURN UP THE VOLUME!

I went to wisconsin last weekend, I used my grados on the way there and I realized, "listening to my grados makes me want to turn up the volume"

Just a thought.

usually I turn up the volume on my SR60 as well. It is not the best headphone I have. I always listen to my ER4S at low volumes though, perhaps because I can hear more with the ER4S than with the grados.

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 14
If its to loud your to old..
600smile.gif

Gradoboy

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 14
Yep, my MS-1's are definitely like that, a little CMOY goes a long way, but i'm lookin' for more
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Yes, I've found that when listening to Grados, I tend to turn it up more. It is generally in an effort to get more bass out of them.

I have partly solved that problem, however, when I purchased the Beyer dt990's. They seem to get most of the "air time" the Grados used to, because I can listen to them at lower volumes without losing the bottom end.

- augustwest

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I tend to turn it up more. It is generally in an effort to get more bass out of them.

at lower volumes without losing the bottom end.

- augustwest

Exactly what I did with SR225's and moved over to Beyer DT770 when I wanted more bass.

I gave myself a week's worth of high pitched whistling in my ears with the 225's - playing them too long and too loud.

That scared me ..........

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 14
This goes back to something psychoacoustic. The way we percieve sound changes with volume (or more specifically loudness). Take a look at the graph on the link below. As you can see our perception of sound flatens out slightly with increasing loudness. We are actually more sensitive to bass at higher volumes (than at low volumes). Assuming the Grado's frequency response is flat as a function of volume or loudness (which it is not, nothing is perfect), they would sound like they have more bass at higher volumes.

I am not recomending that anyone listen to their cans at excessivley high levels, but don't be surprised if you hear an improvement in sound as the volume goes up.

http://www.allchurchsound.com/ACS/edart/fmelc.html
rs1smile.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradojunkie

Just a thought.

Maybe it was the anticipation of getting to Wisconsin that made you turn up the volume
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I gave myself a week's worth of high pitched whistling in my ears with the 225's - playing them too long and too loud.

That scared me ..........

I did the same thing this past week w/ my SR60's. Yet another reason for me to use an amp with them, as it allows me to get a fuller sound without pushing that volume knob up near as much. I have bassier cans for when I really want to hear the low end at low volumes... I've been using the Grados mostly to focus on the guitar in rock/metal music, so I don't mind not having as much bass in those situations - actually makes it easier to hear what the guitar is doing that way... as long as I amp them I can keep the volume at bay much easier...

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah Ive been saying this since I got my MS2.... the dynamics on these are SOOO HUGE. The quiets are super quiet and the louds are extemely loud and in your face. I get caught turning up the VOL to hear the quiet passages, and then getting blasted by the loud passages. If youre not careful, youve gone 1/2 hour with the vol cranked.

to make it worse, yes they do sound GREAT the louder you turn them up. Its like sitting in front of SRVs cabinet in his isolation booth in the studio. Its THAT good, IMHO.

Garrett

Jun 20, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 14
yeah, like where you can hear the 60-cycle hum of his pickups in that studio version of "Little Wing" he did... tasty! Even though my other cans can do bass better, and have a more refined sound (bigger soundstage, more even presentation), they just don't do guitars like Grados can.

It's too bad all the other grado cans I tried sounded too bright - I wish I could try out some MS2i's or 325i's - I've heard they sound so much fuller and less harsh than stuff lije the regular 325, 225 or 125...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back