Grado Repair
Nov 3, 2006 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jbunniii

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of HP-1's that need a new cable. I tried e-mailing Grado using the address listed on their web site, which is "info@gradolabs.com", but the mail was returned to me as undeliverable (apparently aliased to "gradoinfo1@aol.com").

Does anyone know the current e-mail address for Grado? Or am I better off contacting them by phone?

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
Your headphones are permanently ruined, trust me. I'll be happy to take them off your hands though for a fair price.

<waits for PM>

Hahaha,
rs1smile.gif
. Cmon, you can do it, take advantage of the poor guy.

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
Your headphones are permanently ruined, trust me. I'll be happy to take them off your hands though for a fair price.

<waits for PM>

$1200? sounds fair for me.

the grado hp1000 family of fine headphones is easily the EASIEST of the grado family of fine headphones to recable. everything else except for the ps-1 requires that glues be separated...

you undo 8 set screws on each side (Allen key needed)
you unsolder the 2 connections on each side and rid yourself of offensive cable.
you solder in the new cable
you redo the setscrews. caution is advised so that the drivers line up properly, if you put them flat on a table AND hold the drivers down with a VERY thin metal rod (a 000 ga knitting needle fits in the mesh well) you should have no problems of alignment.

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 12
It's been nearly 20 years since I attempted to solder anything, so I think it's a bad idea to attempt to do this job myself! I do have friends who work as techs and who solder things for a living, but I'd feel very uncomfortable asking any of them to do this for me, as it's not only a high-value headphone, but also one that is not easy to find for sale even when one does have the money to spend. For this reason, I would much rather entrust the job to Grado. Since their e-mail doesn't seem to work, I'll try reaching them by phone. I will post an update for the record here as appropriate.

Cheers,
jbunniii

P.S. No, my HP-1 is NOT for sale!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
$1200? sounds fair for me.

the grado hp1000 family of fine headphones is easily the EASIEST of the grado family of fine headphones to recable. everything else except for the ps-1 requires that glues be separated...

you undo 8 set screws on each side (Allen key needed)
you unsolder the 2 connections on each side and rid yourself of offensive cable.
you solder in the new cable
you redo the setscrews. caution is advised so that the drivers line up properly, if you put them flat on a table AND hold the drivers down with a VERY thin metal rod (a 000 ga knitting needle fits in the mesh well) you should have no problems of alignment.

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 12
I'd recommend emailing Drew over at Moon Audio or Larry @ Headphile. Both could install a cable that might actually be better than stock for fairly cheap. The HP-1 would look awesome with a Black Dragon
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I'd recommend emailing Drew over at Moon Audio or Larry @ Headphile. Both could install a cable that might actually be better than stock for fairly cheap. The HP-1 would look awesome with a Black Dragon
smily_headphones1.gif

That's a great idea that I hadn't considered. I took a look at Moon Audio's site. The various Dragon cables look a lot like the Zu Mobius I used to have when I was in a Sennheiser phase. The cable sounded nice, but I found the microphonics really annoying whenever I failed to remain motionless. Do the Dragons have this problem too?

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 12
i think jahn has a set of hp2's with what im pretty sure is a headphile cable. whatever cable he has on them, i listened at the summer "maxi-mini-meet" and was very happy with them in every way. they were not microphonic at all.

the real trick is the cover over the wires. if it is a soft and supple fabric, its all good. if it is all hard and crinkley, its nearley guaranteed to be microphonic.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 12
Just had my SR60's come back from Brooklyn, 10 day turnaround time - had to phone twice before I got an answer but the lady on the phone knew right where my 60's were and they shipped them back with a $25 repair invoice tucked in - whens the last time any service center sent you a bill with your item and didn't demand payment first? Some may consider Grado old school but that's the type of service that keeps customers for life.

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 12
I used that e-mail address a month ago without a problem. My RS-2's drivers needed replacing after I stupidly left them plugged into the headphone jack of an M^3 amp I was repairing and when I turned the amp on there was some kind of overload (whoops). When I tried listening to them afterwards they sounded like Bose Triports, and I'm not exaggerating. I blew the drivers out. The phones were still under warranty, there was no charge, and I received them back exactly 7 days after shipping them. I was quite surprised- never heard anything about Grado having such prompt service.

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I used that e-mail address a month ago without a problem. My RS-2's drivers needed replacing after I stupidly left them plugged into the headphone jack of an M^3 amp I was repairing and when I turned the amp on there was some kind of overload (whoops). When I tried listening to them afterwards they sounded like Bose Triports, and I'm not exaggerating. I blew the drivers out. The phones were still under warranty, there was no charge, and I received them back exactly 7 days after shipping them. I was quite surprised- never heard anything about Grado having such prompt service.

Thanks for the great laugh, Pete. LOL!
I absolutely love how you used a Bose product to describe what good headphones sound like when they blow a driver.
Too funny!
etysmile.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 12
I wasn't trying to be funny PJ. It was a frightening experience! I told Grado exactly what had happened,too. I doubt what I did was covered by the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back