Grado recabled my 325i for no apparent reason...
Jul 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

White_Noise

New Head-Fier
I sent my sr325i in to be repaired under warranty because the right driver shorted out about 2 months after purchase. I just got them back today and it seems that they recabled the headphones with an 1/8 inch plug instead of the standard 1/4...

...all I can say is What. The 325i is supposed to have better wiring than the lower-end grados that come with the 1/8 inch. I'm pretty sure the recabling was unnecessary, and even if it was, why use an 1/8 inch plug?? Doesn't this mean this is the wire they use on the sr-60s and such?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 100
Would anyone else be pissed off about this or is it just me? I hate complaining about stupid **** like this but these phones broke soon after I bought them and I waited a month and a half to get them fixed only to find them downgraded, if only ever so slightly.

Grado has 1 repair guy who handles everything, you'd think he'd know What he was doing by now.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 100
haha, maybe they scavenged the good cable off your phones and replaced it with a cheaper one.
(I highly doubt it though.)
maybe they've started using a smaller plug, and they just updated it for free. Because they love you.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 100
No, they haven't switched to a smaller plug, and no, they don't love me, because I'm going to rip them a new one when they open tomorrow.

I could have soldered this **** myself and it would have saved me two months and a good cable.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 100
They switched to 325is a few months ago, and they are still 1/4 inch.

This really calls into question the whole repair procedure. I bet they just replaced one driver instead of matching them.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was told by a grado dealer that there are going to be 325is or 325si (can't remember)

perhaps the 1/8 cable is an upgrade?

it certainly seems indefinitely more probable that they stole your old cable.

They did give you an adapter, right?
if not, you should demand one. You shouldn't have to pay extra money for something like that.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 100
Well I would be bothered if it had been done to my HPs. You didn't tell them you wanted a 1/8'' cable, and repair doesn't mean changing the way your HPs are finished...

Lets see how this turns out, though

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 100
Jeez, what's the big deal? Just because it terminates in a 1/8" plug doesn't necessarily mean that cable itself is inferior. The termination itself doesn't say anything about the quality of the wiring. Shoot them an email; I'm sure there's some explanation.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez, what's the big deal? Just because it terminates in a 1/8" plug doesn't necessarily mean that cable itself is inferior. The termination itself doesn't say anything about the quality of the wiring. Shoot them an email; I'm sure there's some explanation.

The only Grados that have 1/8 inch plugs are the sr60s and the sr80s, which have lower quality cabling. I doubt Grado specially manufactured a high-quality 1/8 inch cable just for me.

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 100
I doubt Grado uses different cables grades for their phones (as far as the Prestige series is concerned at least). I re-cabled a pair of SR-60 before and, contrary to popular belief here, the stock cable has 4 conductor wires. They probably use the same headphone cable for most, if not all, of all their headphones (think: reels of the same cable). That they offer the mini plugs only for their two bottom range phones is simply a matter of termination, not necessarily wire quality.

If you are not bothered by having a 1/8" plug, don't worry about it. Otherwise, shoot them an e-mail with your concern or re-terminate to a plug of your choice yourself. Stock cable is stock cable, after all.

Regards.

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt Grado uses different cables grades for their phones (as far as the Prestige series is concerned at least). I re-cabled a pair of SR-60 before and, contrary to popular belief here, the stock cable has 4 conductor wires. They probably use the same headphone cable for most, if not all, of all their headphones (think: reels of the same cable). That they offer the mini plugs only for their two bottom range phones is simply a matter of termination, not necessarily wire quality.

If you are not bothered by having a 1/8" plug, don't worry about it. Otherwise, shoot them an e-mail with your concern or re-terminate to a plug of your choice yourself. Stock cable is stock cable, after all.

Regards.

Nah, their 125s and higher use an 8 conductor UHPLC cable. It appears from their site (implicitly) that the 8 conductor cable is terminated with 1/4" plugs, and the 4 conductor cable (SR60, SR80) are terminated with mini plugs.

How thick is the cable? The new 8 conductor cables are quite thick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back