Grado RA-1 High Gain or Not?
Nov 8, 2005 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FoolmanCool

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I recently aquired a grado rs-1 that I'm right now running unamped. I've heard good things about the rs-1 when paired with the ra-1, and I was planning on getting the high gain version of the ra-1 just in case I get some high impedance cans in the future. The question is, will the grados sound any different out of the high gain version vs the normal one?

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 9
The amp may hiss in that configuration with those low impedence cans... Note that I've never heard them first hand before, so take it with a grain of salt.

Garrett

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 9
I wouldn't do that. I believe the RA-1 has a gain of 5 and that is already quite high for grados IMO. I have an amp with gain of 3.5 and use -10db attenuators and I'm thinking of asking the builder to lower the gain because with my home CD player I can still hardly put the volume knob above minimum.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
The amp may hiss in that configuration with those low impedence cans... Note that I've never heard them first hand before, so take it with a grain of salt.

Garrett

No it won't hiss.

A gain of 5 is perfectly normal, even a tad low, btw.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 9
If you listen at low volume, I would definitely advice getting the low gain version. I auditioned a low gain RA-1 with MS-2s and noticed channel imbalance at low volumes. So I had to listen at higher than normal volume to get past the "bad" portion of the pot. The problem will be worse with the high gain version.

Your priority right now should be to optimize your listening pleasure with the RS-1, so get the low gain. You can always get another amp for other headphones. You may not even have to; I can drive the HD650 with my super low gain (3x) SR-71 to very LOUD volumes.

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Having owned an Ra-1 for several years, I agree fully with PATB. Unless you listen at high volumes, the regular RA-1 has more than enough gain, and possibly TOO much. I listened with both SR225s and high impedance HD600s. The sound was unbalanced at low levels to the point that I tended to listen at louder volumes with the Grado phones than I was really comfortable with. While it was less of a problem with the Senns, people seem to have an exagerrated idea of how much power the higher impedance cans need. I found I only had to shift the volume pot less than "five minutes" to match the volume levels with the Grado cans--so even with the Senns I never listened past the 9 0'clock position, and rarely past the 8.

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for everyone's input on this. I've been looking around and for the 400-500 dollar price range, I was thinking of getting the Ra-1 or the mapletree ear +. I'm not that familiar with tube technology (other than the fact that it powers guitar amps pretty well), and was wondering if anyone had any other amp suggestions or has experience with the mapletree or ra-1 and can post their impressions. Thanks again!

Nov 10, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolmanCool
Thanks for everyone's input on this. I've been looking around and for the 400-500 dollar price range, I was thinking of getting the Ra-1 or the mapletree ear +. I'm not that familiar with tube technology (other than the fact that it powers guitar amps pretty well), and was wondering if anyone had any other amp suggestions or has experience with the mapletree or ra-1 and can post their impressions. Thanks again!

Although I don't have experience with the Mapletree, I did go from an RA-1 to a Millett hybrid amp. From my reading, these amps (Mapletree and Millett) may have similar sound signatures, combining aspects of tube and SS characteristics, and being especially good with Grados. If they are in fact similar sounding (perhaps others could vouch for or against this), I would strongly recommend the Mapletree over the RA-1. Compared to my Millett hybrid, the RA-1 had a much more constricted sound stage, considerably less bass, and somewhat grainy highs. Plus, you have to change the batteries every few weeks. Of course, the RA-1 is supposed to have special synergy with RS-1s and I only heard it with SR-225s, so YMMV.

Nov 10, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolmanCool

I have the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD100, when paired with my Grados (RS-1 or RS-2) it is a match made in heaven. The sound is detailed, punchy, and you can listen for hours without fatigue. I can only say good things about this amp.

I particularly like that the design has not printed circuit boards. I am an old fart and I prefer point to point. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back