Grado quality
Sep 2, 2007 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if people can attest to the quality of the Grado builds. I was over at J&R in NYC and they have headphones on display for testing and it looked like the Grados were in bad shape. The pin that holds the headband to the earpiece fell out in one of them and it looked like the threading in the earpiece that holds the pin was lost so it wasn't able to hold anymore. I understand that because it's out for the public to touch that it won't hold up as well as if they were in one owner's hands, but...

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that because it's out for the public to touch that it won't hold up as well as if they were in one owner's hands, but...

That is the key right there.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that Grado headphones would likely be the first phones to be broken, destroyed or fall apart when put on display for the general public to fondle. Grado headphones seem to be a bit more fragile than the other mass produced headphones currently available. As such, a bit of care should be exercised when using/handling them.

With that said, I really haven't had any issues with any of the many Grado headphones I have owned over the years. My only complaint would be that 1 of the pair of RS-1s I had looked pretty bad esthetically, but Grado labs replaced them for me so I can't really complain. But as far as Grado phones breaking, never happened to me with any of the Grado phones I have owned. Granted, I handle my headphones with a very gentle hand, so I am sure that helps.

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, they tend to fall apart after a while. It's not very impressive, but they are easy to repair.

That's an awful generalization.
rolleyes.gif

The Grados are built in such a way that they can't be thrown around like other headphones. So, as long as you're somewhat careful with your headphones, they won't / shouldn't break.

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 24
If taken care of they will last, I've had my SR80's for 2 years now, and there still in one piece
icon10.gif

Though one thing I'm not exactly thrilled about with the Grado's, a few months after I got mine the silver lettering started fading off, and now 2 years later, one side is almost completely gone, even though they where treated very gingerly.

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 24
It's no problem at all.
Just don't use them.
This way they won't fall apart and you'll never experience the infamous grattle.

Joking aside, if you happen to love the Grado sound you have to live with the inferior quality. Grado is a small business without sophisticated inhouse skills in materials science and industrial engineering.The relatively huge german manufacturers do employ specialized engineers for every little aspect.

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 24
I've had 8 different pair of Grados (New and used) and only 1 had any kind of problem- on 1 pair the ear piece rod would slide down so I sent them back for warranty repair.

Skellington- could you quantify your broad sweeping statement in some way? You don’t list a pair and you don’t list having owned a pair.

You can’t read anything into a broken pair of Grados left out on public display. I’ve seen the public destroy things that are indestructible so there’s no expectation they’d treat a pair of headphones other than brutally.

Mitch

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 24
Bah, it seems everything I say on this forum gets jumped on. The ear cup and the headband both fell off on mine. I treat them carefully. I don't know how old they are as they are secondhand.
But as I say, they are easy to repair so it is not a big problem.

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 24
The biggest and really only issue I have with grados is that the cord looks like someone chewed on it at the split. It looks like that on all 3 I have owned (sr60, 225 & alessandro ms-2) so I am not sure I even consider it a defect anymore- more like the standard.

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 24
I've had my MS2i for just about a year now and they are just as beautiful as they were the day I got them. There have been no flaws or even a bit of wear to the paint in the faces or "L and R" blocks. I couldn't be happier with them.

My MS-1 came in just as well finished except for just a bit of flashing where the c-rings were cut from the sprues. I've had them for a year and a half and the only signs of wear are on the "L and R" blocks and the electrical tape on the cable and the blue face paint on the pretty yellow 414s. But then again my four Grandkids had been using them for quite a large chunk of the cans life and even managed to get them tangled up in their computer swivel chair. They still play beautifully however and in my opinion they are a lot tougher than they appear.

I almost feel left out though, both sets of cans were delivered on time and flawless! I have absolutely nothing to complain about!
icon10.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 24
I've owned SR60's, MS1's, MS2, HF1 & RS1 & haven't experienced any terrible build problems. As noted by others the cables get twisted at the Y. All I have owned have been fairly durable -- though I'm pretty careful & treat them well.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 24
I own Grado since 1996. Bought from audioadvisor.com SR60 (1996) and SR125 (1997). In 1999, got SR80 in Australia.

Just this year, both SR80 and SR125 are dead!
Surprisingly, SR60 still alive and sounds well.

However, it makes me doubt about Grado's quality.
I had an Aiwa's headphone, bought it in 1994 and it still works until today!

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 24
I guess that's something to consider.

I'm the person who wants one headphone or two. Right now I'm a student so I'll be lugging them around from friends houses, libraries, from school in Canada to Home in the USA. So I need something while sound amazing are build like a rock cause I want them to last for years with slight abuse.

I had never owned Grados, but just from looking at them. They don't look the phones I am capable of giving the care they need. If I was stationary in my life and had multiple headphones for dfferent location, then that's a different story.

AT, Beyer and Denon look like rugged headphones that can deal with some abuse, last years and still sound fantastic. Grados look flimsy, they look fragile. Even the Darth Beyers look rock solid.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mi16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own Grado since 1996. Bought from audioadvisor.com SR60 (1996) and SR125 (1997). In 1999, got SR80 in Australia.

Just this year, both SR80 and SR125 are dead!
Surprisingly, SR60 still alive and sounds well.

However, it makes me doubt about Grado's quality.
I had an Aiwa's headphone, bought it in 1994 and it still works until today!

Hi, could you elaborate further on what went dead on your Grado phones? Like was it the cables just got worn and broke connecton, or did the actual headphone driver elements burn out or fail or go crackly or start making buzzing sounds? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back