Grado quality equivalent of the HD650?
Jan 16, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 23
I just picked up a pair of SR-225s for a great price, and they are effin awesome. You should try them out. You should be able to get them for way less than your price range. I'm posting this b/c the last post pointed out that there are grado-haters....

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 23
You should take into count that Dt990 is very bright in the treble, has an overpowering bass and recessed midrange. Many find them to be sibilant in the treble, one of them is me, especially if you are used to the smooth HD650.

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should take into count that Dt990 is very bright in the treble, has an overpowering bass and recessed midrange. Many find them to be sibilant in the treble, one of them is me, especially if you are used to the smooth HD650.

wow, thanks for that bit of info. i will definitely take this in to consideration.

When we discuss the 770, are we discussing the 2005 model? It seems as though there are 3 models on headphonereviews.org that I am looking at. Unfortunately the 770 2005 model does not have a review... but thats what head-fi is for
smily_headphones1.gif

How do the 770's compare in terms of treble compared to the 990?

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm going to guess...

based on that it seems like the treble is roughly the same, and whew the 770 seems to have a much higher frequency response for lower frequencies.

I have not heard 770 but it's recommended as a basshead headphone.

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any other feelings between the 770 and 990?

Why not Dt880? it's supposed to be the best beyers by most people here and reviewers. I liked it my self. You can configure it here beyerdynamic Shop*-*DT 880 MANUFAKTUR
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #23 of 23
I was going to say the Grado HF-1 is about the same quality level as the HD650 for the same price. But you want a can to beat around......... yea.... the grado's wouldn't be my first choice. They too have to be pampered due to all their plastic and whatnot. If you're not anal about turning the cups the same way every time, you will start to hate the swiveling ear cups.

The Beyers don't sound like the grados, for better or for worse.
But boy, they are built to last! I've seen movies of people driving over the cups with a car. Either DT770, DT880, or DT990 are strong headphones that sound different. Read up on them, and see which you think would suite you best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back